Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All Region 2016: Metro East (D-I Women's)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007ff40ca24600>

Disclosure: I coach Ottawa.

Cornell:

Lilly Mendoza (Kermit) : Sick bids, super aggressive on O and D, speedy!

Rochester:

Michelle Landis (Mitch) : great thrower, the kind you have to tailor your defensive strategies to try to stop, and even then she still manages to get that around break backhand or put up a monster flick-bomb. Super aggressive on both sides of the disc and a great competitor.

Nina Fogel: Able to just dominate downfield, super intense and made some truly impressive bids at Conferences. Great spirit too.

Luisa Maria Neves: Another Rochester player with sick throws. Speedy and super dangerous with the disc!

Kate Cowie-Haskell (Fireball) : fantastic deep striker that often gave us trouble. Great reads!

Coach Jessica Brunner: Has done a lot for her team along with her co-coach and I can see that they’ve really helped bring Rochester’s play to the next level; I also greatly appreciate our sideline banter.

Princeton:

Lyra Olson: fantastic handler, put up some beautiful throws over the weekend that really had our sideline talking. Spirited player, super gritty! We found Princeton to be the most spirited team we played all weekend, and Lyra certainly leads by example. (Not to say we had any unspirited games, everyone was fantastic!)

Columbia:

Sophie Hulbert: great throws, but also unstoppable in the endzone. We really had to keep an eye on her when we played them!

UConn:

I unfortunately missed any names from this team, but they were all-around fantastic. A great group of just ATHLETES, they all played like they were on the same page and gave us a really tough semis. In particular, their wide throws to the open side gave us a whole lot of trouble and made our girls really work and have to make a lot of adjustments on defense.

Rutgers:

I can only assume based on the above write-ups that Amy Zhou is the one who was putting up those bombs and giving us a ton of trouble. She was fantastic. In addition, they had a tall cutter in particular who spent a lot of time running down those hucks and giving us trouble as well, although I’m not sure of her name!

Ottawa:

25 (orange cleats) that a few people have mentioned is Caitlin Fowler, a newcomer to the team this year who’s provided a lot of fire and grittiness on O and D. Sadly not a Freshman or she’d get that nomination in a heartbeat haha.

Isabelle Bédard © #44: Fantastic offensive player with a wide range of throws, she really is a lynchpin to our offense and really embodies the spirit of our team with her enthusiasm, positivity, and the support and love she shows her teammates.

Camille Bédard © #72: Gritty on O and D, with big ups, nice throws (lefty!), and great catches.

Corrine Giorgetti © #16: So fast, so intense. Got some sweet layout Ds and her energy is just never-ending. Really dominant in the lanes as a cutter.

Maude Carrier-Laforte #7: I saw her play some of her best ultimate this weekend. She rarely turned the disc over and was just dominant on her up-the-lines, particularly in the UConn game. Lefty handler with every throw in the book.

Thanks everyone for a fantastic Regionals!!!

*I play for the Cornell Wild Roses.

Cornell
Kimberly Brown- She can take whatever role our team needs her to be and plays with such poise, calm intensity. She can put the disc anywhere on the field and make skying look like a walk in the park.

Olivia Olson- She can make everything on ultimate look graceful whether it’s a sky, bid, huck, cut, etc. and still keep a perfect bun. She just has so much control over the disc and can dominate on O and D.

Sarah Angle- She is such a fierce, aggressive defender and cutter. She is always a huge presence on the field.

Rochester
Michelle Landis (Mitch) - She has clutch throws, aggressive defense, very experienced player. Much goals when it comes to her hucks and love for the game.

Luisa Neves (Lu) - She plays great defense with some sweet bids for O and D.

Columbia
Sophie Hulbert - She holds a dominant role on Columbia. Super fast, great hucks, nice grabs and bids

Ottawa
Isabel Bedard- She is the foundation of Ottawa’s team and has great control over the game with her throws.

Princeton
Lyra Olson: She gave 100% on the field for offense and defense with her intensity. Great example of spirit of the game.

1 Like

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this region. Only things about Fayth.

Fayth Kim from Rochester should be considered as the only option for Freshman of the Year. She’s easily the hardest working player I’ve ever seen, plus she FUCKING PULLS (but I’m not talking on the field. Girl has the most game I’ve ever seen. Amirite?) I’ve seen her learn to layout, throw a flick, and even seen her discussion making go from great to okay, to just wanting to huck it to her deep cutters because shes so nasty. #Faythahan

I play for Columbia.

Princeton
Lyra: This girl is an absolute baller and presented a huge threat to our team. Her quick give and gos were practically unstoppable as she constantly demanded the disc.
Sally: I matched up on her quite a bit. She has very quick feet and was able to burn people deep and under constantly.

Ottawa
Isabel?: Was so comfortable with the disc and took her team upon her back. Had very quick handler movements and some nice puts.

NYU
Kelly (grad student): Apparently played with two sprained ankles, like a baller. Was able to make great decisions with the disc as a very competent handler.
Tiff: Even though she was injured, I’ve always admired Tiff’s determination for the disc and nimbleness as an agile handler, filling any role needed on the team.

Rochester
Luisa: Fast, versatile cutter who had some nice flick hucks.
Mitch: So calm with the disc, best decision making and great puts.

Cornell
Kimberly: Quick cutter who could also handle and had great hands.
Honestly, this game was a little bit of a blur (may have been the rain) but everyone who was on the field from Cornell wanted the disc and bid for pretty much everything.

Rutgers
Amy: basically carried the team on her back dominating the whole field. Great hucks.

UConn
Cassy: Have played against her for a couple years now. Always amazed by her fast movement and great hands, really hungry for the disc.

Columbia
Sophie Hulbert: I have always been jealous of how well Sophie knows the game and how smart she is with the disc. Not to mention her athleticism, she deserves All Region, hands down.

Steph Huang: A nimble, incredibly fast handler with breaks for days. Her hucks are always on point and her uplines cannot be defended.

Becca Arbacher: A workhorse on the field always giving 100% when going for the disc.

Lyra Cooper: Played some sick shutdown handler defense which benefited our team immensely. Girl can huck too.

FOTY
Yuge Xiao: This girl has put in so much work everyday this whole season and it shows. Her natural speed has been complimented with great disc skills and will be a threat for the next few years.

Irene Golden: A rookie handler who stepped up to the plate and played some starting line handler positions when asked. Her improvement over the year lead her to improved decision making and great work against a zone.

COACH OF THE YEAR: JENNIE LUMMIS
After splitting for the first time into A/B team, Jennie came to us to coach the A team. She really embodied the mentality that was the vision for the A team. Her intensity drove our team to work the hardest we have ever worked and her attitude of improvement lead us to always strive to get better. We are forever grateful for what she put into the team this year.
Additionally, you can probably pour water over her abs and the water will ripple down perfectly.

1 Like

Hi- Mitch from Rochester here on Rookie of the Year:

#4 Fayth Kim (Rochester)- She is a hard worker, and has gone from beginner to a reliable O-line handler position for us this year. One of our starting O-line handlers had to miss sectionals this year, and she stepped up to the plate and performed very well. She has developed throws in less than a year that took me 3 years to develop. She is fast, explosive, and lays-out for everything. Her aggression on defense and amazing break throws, and chilly zone O play make her the complete player.

1 Like

I play for Rutgers and this post is directed towards who, in my opinion, should be player of the year.

Over the past 2 year I’ve had the pleasure of playing with Amy Zhou and I am super sad to see her go but also grateful for what she has taught me as an individual and what she has taught our team. When it comes to her perfect throws, her sick defense or her ultimate spirit, Amy is the backbone of our team. No matter where the disc is on the field Amy will be there making a huge play. Her speed is hard to match up against and whether the opposing team is playing man or zone, Amy will always find a way to lose her girl and get open. I don’t know how she does it but she will always find pockets in the field and perfectly place the disc in those spots for her cutters to run to. She gives her all and plays 100% every game because her desire and love for ultimate is out of this world. I’ve never met someone as dedicated to the game as Amy. GO ZAMY!

2 Likes