Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All-Region 2017: North Central (D-I Men's)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007ff419a379a0>

Iowa State Guy here,

Our O line guys were studs this year, but it was really a group effort from the 10 or so guys who played on the O line, as people have pointed out, Joel Morton (7) and Ben Joerger (23) were very consistent downfield players, and Tanner Boyle (97) was solid as the center handler, and all three had a big effect on our results as an O line, but thats ignoring the contributions of the other o line players who went out and consistently played well. Shoutouts to Brian Wandrei (4) and Trevor Sawatzky (44) specifically. NNNNNNGGGGGGGG

The strength of our team this year was definitely our defense. Highlighted by lockdown defenders Richard (11) and Josh (9) Poterack, Logan “Loge” Grothus (2), and Mike “Sandy” Sandstrom (89), all getting huge layout ds and skies anywhere on the field, along with Zach Diener (95) and Bryan Hall (52) and Lukas “Tuddies” Nesheim(8) our shutdown handler covers. After a turn, the disc always moved through Jack Sanders (12, the jersey less guy mentioned above) Niko Banchode (28), and Scott Hearne (6), who were constantly winning their matchups on O and D, and being capable of throwing all the throws they needed to get breaks. They rode their Jetskis to Cabo all season.

In terms of the all freshman team, I think we have three legitimate candidates for the team. First is the before mentioned Josh “Tuba” Poterack (9). Dude came in and played on the universe D line this year. Specific highlight includes noted Wildfire and potential Machine player Will Hean, who is actually good and deserves consideration for all region himself, bragging a bit about his club prospects, then being completely shut down and requesting a switch on defense during the silver division championship at Centex, if I remember correctly. Absolute stud from day 1. Next up is Joey Kosterman (80). He got a big ol layout D against the hodags in the game to go, and has amazing upwind throws. Made huge strides this year. Last but definitely not least is Jacob Badger (99). Unfortunately suffered a knee injury before Regionals, but could completely shut down his matchup on defense and get open downfield on the turn. All three should be at least in consideration for the All Freshman team. Shawtys thicccccc.

For Coach of the Year, I have to say the coaches of the big 3 are all great and deserving candidates, but the CotY should 100% with no doubt be Charlie Hubbard from Iowa State. He started coaching us last year, and his affect on our program is insane. After losing a big senior class two years ago and placing not great at Regionals, Charlie came in and took ISUC, a program that had never been in a game to go ever, to 3 (THREE!) in two years, including our first ever win over the Hodags ever. His affect on our play in game was incredible, but his ability to organize and inspire the team to show up to workouts and practices every day of the week has changed the course of ISUC history, and he instilled culture of hard work while maintaining our dumb goofy shenanigans. Shoutout to Strings for coaching us as well. Without either coach I don’t think we would have even sniffed back to back 4th place finishes in the region. They also provide us with plenty of jokes and team memes, and keep morale high while also helping us play as well as possible. They Wanna Rock! ROCK!

1 Like

I was a D3 player but watched a couple of games during my byes. That Stanley kid on Carleton was dope. I heard he’s a freshman and I think he should win FOTY. He was always open.
Big teams like Cut, Wisco, and Grey Duck are gonna have hella ballers who likely should be all region.
As far as smaller schools go, I played against Marty Adams on UMD and he was nasty.
Also, #17 on Iowa. I watched him play the Hodags, get a massssssive layout D, then puke right after. Thats badass and he looked like a defensive presence.

2 Likes

Wisco Player here. Keep in mind these are players throughout the 2017 season that have had a MAJOR impact on teams success or are clear ballers in their own right regardless of opponent (so not just regionals, but obviously regionals allowed us to see many players who deserve recognition). Also, none of the top 3 teams in the region finished top 10 in the country by being a faceless army. That’s a piece of garbage rhetoric on this thread. So I’ll throw a pool of players for first and second team consideration based on what I’ve observed this year. I don’t think there is a no-brainer, top 7 in the region, but I’ll give a lil reasoning if needed on my choices.

Based on region teams that I saw a week ago and results of this season, I think the top 7 belongs to the top 3 teams. Other teams have studs, yes, but these players dominated for the top teams and are not surpassed individually by others. No disrespect to top contributors to the other squads.

1st Team Consideration
Sol Yanuck CUT
Eric Taylor CUT- does unbelievable things on their d line… which I don’t think people give enough credit for
Henry Fischer CUT
Ben Jagt MINN
Tristan VDM MINN
Wyatt Mekler MINN
Ross Barker WISCO- works top matchups in the country, gets open so consistently, plays with great integrity
Avery Johnson WISCO
Nick Ladas WISCO- a defensive presence every team dreams of having, big plays, huge firepower on a turn

2nd Team Consideration
Natan Lee-Engel CUT- quick and reliable
Elliot Mawby CUT
Sam Kaminsky MINN- consistent and impressive in the backfield
Sam Bumsted MINN
Tony Poletto MINN - great thrower and decision maker
Nick Vogt WISCO- goal scoring phenom this season
Eric Von Kampen WISCO
David Yu WISCO- one of the best handler defenders to ever play the game, crazy high ultimate IQ
Graeme Kernick WISCO
Ben Joerger IA STATE
Joel Morton IA STATE- very effective cutter at regionals
Tanner Boyle IA STATE- good decision making and throws
Will Hean IOWA
Chase Marty UWW
Marty Adams MINN DUL

Former NC player (last year) here. Just wanted to give some more recognition for Nick Vogt and Ross Barker… who are some of the most explosive athletes I have seen or played against in this region. Not to knock the other big names, but I think those guys deserve more than what they are getting. Nick Vogt is one of the most athletically gifted ultimate players I have ever played with or against and he wins almost every matchup both offensively and defensively. Not to mention he has been on the Hodag O-line since freshman year. The same can be said about Ross Barker who is the type of player who you would think should be playing a real D-1 sport (sorry everyone) not ultimate frisbee. Please give these guys consideration.

Also Scott Hearne and Ben Joerger from Iowa State are definitely players to watch in the coming years. They both are ballers and are unreal athletes.

Can’t believe this freshman isn’t getting talked about. If you haven’t heard his name yet, this certainly will not be the last time you do: Ethan Bloodworth.

Ethan is the handler defender king of the North Central. He’s probably the best athlete in the region, and considering he’s only a freshman, that is quite a feat. Him on the CUT D-Line is just unfair, especially when he works his guy up and down the field on the turn.

Ethan should be All-Region this year, nonetheless the freshman of the region as well. Just take Michael Fairley’s (UCF’s callahan nominee) word for it: https://twitter.com/fairleymichael5/status/837745968368009217