Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All-Region 2019: Metro East (D-I Men's)

I am the kid who wears jeans and the baseball hat on Rutgers. I have one thing to say.
WE’RE GOING TO NATTIES!!!
I’ll shoutout some guys I’ve played from other teams who have given me a challenge.
UConn
(23) - Initiator cutter, O-line flow ran through him getting open on his first cut, pretty good at bodying out his defender
Murray - biggest downfield threat in the region, huge spark to the team getting hyped up because of his crazy skies/bids
(40) - Very consistent O-Line center handler, no execution errors in the final
Stony Brook
Cody Brady aka Brodie Smith - his throws fake out the whole defense, I would’ve liked to see him as Stony’s every other
NYU
Victor Kao - very impressive thrower (lead throws & accurate cross-field), runs the offense as the every other, very difficult matchup for any team
Yale
Feder - Ran the offense mainly through him, we had to put our best handler defender on him to limit his impact on the offense
Mukai - Feder’s reliable option, impressive lead throws, made getting layout Ds on his cutters extremely difficult
Princeton
Charlie - similar to Mukai, had very good all-around throws, very consistent O-line center handler
Didn’t play against Cornell and others so can’t really shout y’all out
If anyone wants to cheer us on at Nationals we’ll be there
Metro East baby, best region out there

2 Likes

I know I had an earlier post, but after regionals felt it was appropriate to revisit this thread.

Like it was mentioned earlier, these awards have big implications and I think we should do our best to take them seriously and have proper representation. I am a firm believer that the first team all region should be comprised on members of the top 4 teams at regionals, and the second team all region should be that of top 8, with priority given to the semis and finals teams.

For All freshman, its a little harder with not knowing who freshman are on certain teams, but I still think order of finish at regionals and contribution on the team should be taken into consideration. That being said this is my updated list for 1st and 2nd team, along with All Freshman considerations.

1st team All Region

1. Bobby Puhak (Rutgers) (#12)
  2. Issac Duan (Rutgers) (Small Asian handler)
  3. Brian DiNicola [POTY] (Rutgers) (Guy who jumps really high)
  4. Ben Aaron Levy (Rutgers) (Other handler defender)
  5. Sam Feder (Yale)
  6. Spencer DeRoos (Cornell)
  7. Peter Jeng (Rutgers) (O line center handler, #15)

This list became Rutgers heavy for obvious bias. But if you take a step back and take a look at the impact they had and their success against the region it is hard to argue. Bobby’s name has been mentioned here a few times so folks know what he brings to the table. Issac Duan, was on our universe point line for defense as well and all year has been one of our top handler defenders with Ben. They have won many games for us defensively by just being able to just have stifling reset pressure against the best handlers in our region and even against national level teams when we went to Florida. Brian is just straight unguardable, I don’t think there is a single individual in our region that can cover him and he was huge as a two way player for us. Peter Jeng, was our center O line handler. All year and especially in our final game against Uconn, showed so much poise as a handler. His break throws were incredible and all game controlled the tempo against Uconn and against other teams. And that has been his biggest strength as a player.

Sam Feder has should be nominated for Most improved or biggest impact on a team. Yale went from a team that didn’t even make regionals to making the semi finals. A large part of that was because of Feder. He controlled the tempo of his O line with smooth reset cuts and with his throws. And while his natural position is downfield as a cutter, there is something to be said about players that go out of their comfort zone and still have the success that Feder showed this year during regionals.

Spencer DeRoos - I have nothing but the utmost respect for this guy. And a lot of people have spoken very highly of him so rather than beating a deadhorse, if you have concerns on why he should be in the conversation for 1st team all region just read in the comments above. I agree with them all.

2nd team All Region

1. William Disturco (Rutgers)
  2. Tanner Yuhas (Rutgers) (#36, big defender)
  3. Dyllon Jeng (Rutgers) (#24, squirrely defender)
  4. Francis Joe (Rutgers)
  5. Phil Murray (Uconn)
  6. Dave Maniloff (Cornell)
  7. Pat Voorhees (Cornell)

Will - Another huge two way player for us, he played a lot of key points in our finals against Uconn and has always been someone relied upon because of his ability to rise to the moment. He’s another gifted player. (He’s the one who throws the winning goal, if you need to refer to the film)

Tanner - Big defender for us. Always asked to take the workhorse cutters on the other team and erase them from the game. He has always come up with one big block after another. This year added the throws to make him a much more complete D line player

Dyllon Jeng - One of our best kept secrets. A very sneaky defender that really is the heart and soul of machine. He is a tireless defender, comes up with huge blocks. He never seems to have difficulty getting open on a turn and has incredible spikes when he scores.

Francis Joe - Another one of our best kept secrets. He was our finisher all year, and just out ran defenders all year. Teams would underestimate him before adjusting and putting on their better defenders on him and even then, he has the poise and game iq to understand what a defender is giving him and just taking it and being very reliable with the disc in his hands.

Phil, Dave and Pat - The three of these were instrumental in their teams success. I wish I had more details to give on why they are deserving. But whenever I watched film they were players that we specifically looked to matchup against and made our number 1 priorities.

All Freshman
This one is hard since I don’t know who other teams freshman are, and haven’t had the chance to talk to other coaches about this. So will shout out our guys.

1. Issac Duan - was on our universe point line for defense. Came out with a number of key blocks for us
  2. Declan Alvidrez - Was on our O line all year, and even in key situations was a go to finisher for us. No fear, and was a rock all year for us.
  3. Alec Bakholdin - Was on our starting D line, was asked to be a hybrid for us. He came with no ultimate experience but was easily our leading goal scorer and points leader for our D line this year.

Obviously a lot of Rutgers Bias. But I’m hoping that after regionals that folks can understand why I really think that they are deserving of recognition

Hey all,

I’m Chris McGlynn, a Syracuse alum and the regional director. I had a chance to watch a bit this season and had a couple things to weigh in on.

I won’t pretend to know everyone in the region, but over the course of the year, I’ve gotten a good sense of who should be on these all-regionals teams.

UConn

The region likes to pretend Grind has only one all-region caliber player. They’ve got several. Phil Murray has been mentioned a lot and rightfully so. Great defender with tons of athleticism. Chris Bohr ran the offense for this team. He touched the disc more than probably any other player on the team. Danny Conner initiated UConn’s offense downfield and showed a clear understand of timing and how to attack open spaces. Very few teams succeeded in slowing him down. Jeremy Bernier could merit some all-region consideration as well. He is a fundamentally-sound player with a high ultimate IQ. He is only a freshman, and should almost definitely be freshman of the year.

Rutgers is clearly stacked heading to nationals this year. There is a lot of talent on this roster from top to bottom, but those who stand out are Bobby Puhak, Ben Levy and Brian DiNicola. Puhak is their top downfield defender and overall just a smart player. He came up with some sweet layout blocks at regionals. Levy runs the offense, controlling the handler space for Machine at all times. DiNicola was all over the field for Rutgers and certainly warrants being on the first team. I will add that Isaac Duan should definitely make the all-freshman team.

Cornell had another solid season. Pat Vorhees and Spencer DeRoos run the show, but Dave Malinoff should be in the mix as well. All three of these players can play both ways and came very close to reaching the final again.

Sam Feder from Yale should be a no-brainer this season for 1st team. Best player on a semifinals team. Don’t over think this. Put him on there.

Victor Kao of NYU has been solid all year long and deserves a lot of credit for them taking second in their pool.

From Syracuse, Jesse Newman and Luca Serio both are very capable throwers. Both of them pace the offense either when receiving or after the turn. I would shout out more of my former teammates, but a lot of them got injured at regionals. That being said, put Erik Liu on the all-freshman team. Kid can flat out ball.

RIT relies heavily on it’s two best players to make tons of plays. Bryan Bausinger and Maxwell Sample are both great players. Bausinger dominates the backfield and Sample dominates the rest of the field.

Chris Walsh might be the most underrated player in the region. He is super athletic and a great thrower. Clearly the best player on Binghamton this season.

Princeton ran its offense through Dylan Baroody. He touched the disc a lot and showed he is a skilled thrower.

Lastly, I will mention one of former teammates Nick Granados-Kramer. He is an excellent defender who I’m pretty sure never gets tired.

Coach of the year is probably a three-way race this year between Rutgers’ Shank Alladi, UConn’s Bryan Jones and Yale’s Elliott Lee.

That’s my way more than two cents on the region. I know I named more than 14 players. Congrats to everyone on a great year. Looking forward to the next one already.

1 Like

–random dude from NYU here–

Just some players I thought deserved some recognition

NYU:

Jesse Gan: Heart of NYU’s D-line and constantly guarded the other teams best player. His obvious passion on the field inspires the rest of the team to play harder to match his intensity. Any breaks D-line got would primarily be because of him.

Quin Gier (big dude, USA cleats): Quin deserves some recognition after an amazing regionals performance. Rarely turns, literally catches everything thrown to him, and undoubtedly led NYU in goals throughout the season.

Brandon Chin (All-Freshmen): Coming with years of YCC experience, Brandon took on a huge role for NYU from the start as a starting O line handler. It’s hard to tell he’s a freshman given how polished he is with the disc. He has solid throws and knowledge of the game, making him invaluable to our O-line. He’s one of the first players to cross over to D-line when necessary, and was on our universe line. #gunnhighschool

Yale:
Sam Feder: best player in the region I saw the season.

Rutgers:
Well-deserved regionals win. A lot of people on this team deserve recognition, but unfortunately, I don’t know many of the names and numbers.

Bobby Puhak is the toughest defender I’ve had to match up against this season, great throws, and great spirit. In addition, Ben Levy, Isaac Duan (Freshman), #8 , and Shashank Alladi (coach) all deserve some recognition for their strong season.

Princeton:
Charlie Coburn: all around very solid player, ran a lot of the Princeton offense and destroyed our zone looks with some nice short hammers.

Dylan Baroody: often initiates Princeton offense with a first cut and then beautiful throws. Very solid.

Stony Brook:
Geoffrey Zheng (All-freshman): One of the best defenders I faced this year. Ran Stony’s D-line as a freshman.

Columbia:
Danny Siegel and Jimin Ko almost singlehandedly brought Columbia to regionals before both got injured from playing basically every point at sectionals. Two awesome players, really fun matchups with them the past few years.

Probably a little late for this but oh well. Disclaimer I go to Stony Brook and am only going to name players that I got to play against. I realize that I’m missing some great players because of that, but I don’t have any personal knowledge so I can’t speak on their behalf.

First I want to address the point made by @shashankalladi a couple of posts up. There should definitely be a heavy favoritism towards teams that made it deeper into Regionals (and especially the team going to Nationals) but the whole top 4 teams making the 1st team all region and whatnot doesn’t exactly jive with me. I’d argue that Danny Seigel from Columbia could be one of the top players on pretty much any team in this region and yet Columbia didn’t even make it to Regionals. It’d be a shame for him to not get any attention just because half his team didn’t show up to Sectionals and then he didn’t get a chance to showcase himself at Regionals. He played every point against us and we really couldn’t slow him down at all. (BTW no offense to anyone, but I’m pretty sure Columbia would have crushed Buffalo so it was pretty upsetting to see that bid go to WNY.) I feel like it would be wrong to tell people that individual awards can only go to teams that made it [x] far at Regionals. Also, Geoffrey Zheng (Geo) from Stony Brook should definitely win FOTY, even though we got knocked out in quarterfinals. I did, however, appreciate the attention given to how these awards should be taken seriously in that post.
Sorry for the rant, here’s my list (not going into detail as these names should look familiar):

1st Team
Ben Levy (Rutgers)
Bobby Puhak (Rutgers)
Brian DiNicola (Rutgers)
Charlie Coburn (Princeton)
Spencer DeRoos (Cornell)
Christopher Walsh (Binghamton) - everyone knows how good he is and somehow he’s still underrated?
Danny Seigel (Columbia) - I was not joking earlier, the absolute embodiment of what it means to be a competitive ultimate player (skills, athleticism, and spirit combined)

2nd Team
Victor Kao (NYU) - cannot oversell how great his throws are
Josiah Zoodsma “Jo-Jo” (Stony Brook) - was 1st team last year, should still be in the top 14 players
Will Burks “Noodle” (Stony Brook) - don’t think I’ve ever trusted someone to bail me out so many times on my garbage throws. Doesn’t matter which way he cuts he’ll be open, and can do pretty much anything he wants with the disc
Will Disturco (Rutgers) - might even be first team honestly
Dave Maniloff (Cornell)
Pat Voorhees (Cornell) - POTY last year (probably a little bit of a popularity contest there hahahaha :wink: ) but is definitely top 14 again
Either Dylan Baroody (Princeton) or Cody Brady (Stony Brook) could take this spot as far as I’m concerned

All Freshman
Geoffrey Zheng “Geo” (Stony Brook) [FOTY] - some of the best layout D’s you’ll see, rarely turns the disc over, super high ultimate IQ. If you don’t know who he is, he’s the tall(ish) Asian kid who was wearing a headband and had his hair semi-bleached (had a nice reddish hue to it) at Regionals
Isaac Duan (Rutgers) - don’t think he was over-hyped at all (unlike many players in this thread), very good player
Brandon Chan (Stony Brook) - only half a step behind Geo, and mostly because he didn’t have as many flashy plays at Regionals
Erik Liu (Syracuse) - I was impressed with him before I knew he was a freshman
Jensen (RIT) - same situation as Erik^
Those are all of the standout freshmen I know

Honorable mentions
Vinny Calderon (Cornell)
Max Sample (RIT)
Jesse Gan (NYU)
If “Pudge” on Albany didn’t tell me that I “must not get out much” earlier in the season when I called a travel on him (he’s a pretty good player but travels everywhere lol) then I might shout him out here too

Cornell captain here. Know its a bit late, but wanted to quickly shout out one of my teammates who I haven’t seen mentioned on here but definitely deserves All Region consideration.

Lucas Bulger (#0) has one of the best flick-hucks I’ve ever seen, and as our center handler the last few years has really been key to our offense. Our offense certainly would not have been as smooth without his ability to threaten the deep space from anywhere on the field. He has been a rock for our offense with his incredibly reliable break throws and overall consistency.

As for other players that stood out to me, we unfortunately didn’t get to play Rutgers or Yale this year, so can’t really speak to anyone specifically on their teams, although I’m sure they both have plenty of worthy candidates.

From UConn, Phil Murray was their most impactful player and easily the best defender we played against in the region this year. I really enjoyed matching up with him the last few years, and got a bunch of blocks against us. Had a lot of fun playing against him, and he’s incredibly spirited as well.