Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All Region 2016: Ohio Valley (D-III Men's)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007ff40c435d20>

I’ll do two posts, one for my fellas at Messiah and another for other teams. We’ve had a surprising season. We finished second in the region a year ago, and then graduated 10 A team players and 5 B teamers. Losing that amount of depth means that a ton of players had to step up big time for us to have the type of season we’ve had.

Christian Becker (11) is a dominant player. Many of you remember him scoring deep again and again at last year’s regionals. He’s become the complete package now–great in the air, burns people in and deep, excellent throws, one of the best defenders in the region. He is without question deserving of an All-Region spot.

The next trio of seniors took tremendous strides to make us as strong as we are. Trevor Landis (28) is one of the most clutch defenders I’ve ever been around at any level. He gets blocks he has no business getting based on sheer will. He’s a great cutter as well. Mark Larsen (42) is a lefty handler who runs our dynamic D line. He is a solid in all aspects of the sport and a true field general. Joey Bankert (25) is a top cutter with great continue throws and the hops to get over anyone.

The underclassmen have stepped up too. Peter Burt (16) has had a monster season, pulling, playing D, hucking bombs, and making some of the biggest highlight plays of the season. Earlier this season, one point after just missing a spectacular game winning Callahan, he skied a pile of people with an over-the-shoulder catch on a double game point desperation hammer. Can’t believe he’s only a junior. JM Rallo (26) breaks the mark with throws from a million release points and fashions and makes plays much bigger than his size. And Aaron Olney (17) followed his All-Freshman team performance of 2015 with a great year in which he added big throws and breaks to his shutdown D and powerhouse cutting.

We have two All-Freshman candidates. Colin Campbell (15) racked up highlight blocks and skies that belong in any video package. We are lucky to have the former Philly YCC player on our roster. And Dan Sidell (18) came out of nowhere to make the A team and has started as a handler on the O line for a top regional team all spring. I can count the number of turnovers he had for the whole season on one hand, and we wouldn’t be the same team without him.

As for other players in the region, we didn’t get to see too many. There are, however, some slam dunks:

Franciscan: Tommy Koch and Dom Schuster are such total studs. Dom will be my vote for player of the year.
Ohio Wesleyan: Sam Schruer is one of my favorite players to coach against. Great competitor, great leader, always spirited no matter how intense he is. I respect him very much, and that’s before we even talk about his pin-point bombs.
Haverford: Calvin Trisolini is fantastic. Fresh off a nationals appearance with AMP. Philly ultimate stand UP!

I think the above players, along with Christian and others from Messiah and around the region, deserve first team honors. Out of West Penn, here are two more guys that should be in the discussion.

Anthony Scrima of Bucknell was another favorite opponent of mine this year. Fiery and confident, Anthony led Bucknell to the conference finals on the back of his excellent deep shots and ability to get the disc whenever he wanted. Kid is only a sophomore, and it’s a shame he won’t be at regionals–he’d be one of the very best at the tournament. I’m looking forward to more Bucknell-Messiah battles in the coming years.

Joel Prushan of Dickinson deserves major props as well. He spent the season rebuilding Dickinson’s team while turning himself into a complete field general. Everything ran through Joel for Dickinson, and he used that responsibility to make the team around him better rather than just jacking up 50-50s. That’s a difficult thing to do, and it’s more difficult to be a standout player under those circumstances. Joel accomplished both. His contributions to Dickinson will be felt for seasons to come, and I think we should reward this and his very good play on the field with an All-Region team spot.

I agree regarding J. Prushan. Completely awesome to see a senior focus on the long-term growth of their team in the way Joel has done - especially when the team is in a rebuilding year. Major props to Joel for taking the reins and setting his eyes on the future and to Dickinson for running with it.

RT for Bobby Roos. Charlie Hoppes may get all the publicity in the region but nobody did more for a team than Bobby did for us at Muhlenberg. He was a steady rock for us at tournaments, making the right adjustments and pushed us further than we believed we ever could. The man deserves some recognition.

Rookie of the year nominee for Dan Zuckerman aka Cookie. The guy was one of our top cutters from day one, going entire tournaments without a turnover. He has great hands and a physicality that overwhelmed players that went up against him on O and D. Dan’s layouts set the tone for the rest of our defense from the first point to the last.

Agree with everyone so far about Calvin from Haverford for All Region. Even when our team went in knowing the offense would run through him, he was still controlling the game and pretty impossible to stop.

Max Franklin from Swarthmore is a monster, definitely All Freshmen caliber. One of the best handlers I’ve seen in the region overall, and actually a great cutter when he steps into that role. Sam Gardner as well for All Freshman, very reliable cutter and defender who’s been able to get the best of much older players in tournaments so far.

Also, Lee Tarlin from Swarthmore for all-Region. He was easily the top goal producer during Swarthmore’s successful run at sectionals, and was incredibly versatile as a cutter, particularly in the deep game where he almost always pulled in the disc regardless of the athleticism or size of his defender(s).

2 Likes

I would like to nominate two of my teammates for the all-freshman team. We had a large freshman class, but these two stood out (literally) among the rest.

Matt Lawson: 6’ 2", Lawson comes in with a few years of HS ultimate under his belt. In the fall, it was clear from the first day that he was one of the best athletes on the field. His speed, and change of direction in the open field were lethal. His throws were inconsistent. Turfing a 10 yard in-cut but later throwing a 60 yard backhand huck on a dime. He coasted in the fall, seemingly not willing to commit to the team.

Then the spring came around. He attended practices focused and ready to improve. His consistency improved and he became one of our go-to cutters out of our side stack. His presence on the O-line was valuable all-season, dominating his match-up in either direction. Even at D3 Easterns no one cold shut him down for more than half a second, popping up in dangerous positions time and time again.

Nate Matlack: 6’ 2" with a 6’ 8" wingspan he was dominant in the air from the get go. Matlack’s story is one of slow growth. From getting his first layout D in the fall (thanks to a bet) to dominating his defensive matchups. In the spring he was able generate turn after turn with his length, and then convert break after break with his aerial ability. I’ve seen him be skied once all year base Peter Burt of Messiah, on what I can only describe as the greatest display of athleticism I’ve ever seen at the D3 level.

Just to add to the adorableness, they are roommates and best friends.

I’d also like to nominate Charlie Hoppes for COTY. This is more for his work over the past 6 years than the specific effort he has exerted this year.

First and foremost, his teams are consistently good. They’ve won 4 of the last 5 conference titles. They’ve been ranked in the top 25 nationally since the Ultiworld’s power rankings began. And they are difficult to beat. He develops specific roles for players on the team, they buy in, and they execute. A very fundamentally sound team.

Second, his teams are spirited. I’ve never seen a Hoppes coached team yell at another team about rules, or treat a team with disrespect. College kids can be incredibly emotionally volatile, simply from a lack of maturity. Yet he casts a calming presence over the team. Whether that is from his coaching or merely his example, it is commendable.

Lastly, he frequently changes his teams system. Frequently, in college sports we see coaches stick to one system and develop players in that system with the knowledge that with consistency comes comfort and improved play. But Hoppes changes his system year after year to adapt to the talent available and still manages to create a level of comfort in the system for every player.

blah blah blah Nick K, give the award to this guy

1 Like

Playing today at regionals:

S/O to number 11 on Messiah. consistently took guys to the house deep and played hard.
Also number 16 anchor of the both sides.

For Franciscan number 34. good all around player long and great vertical.

Post-regionals thoughts:
#24 on Ohio Wesleyan is astounding. His throws and defense were some of the best I saw this entire season. Also, #22 (Alec? Alex?) is blindingly fast, and his cuts are amazing. On Messiah, #s 16 and 25 were both great. 16 played super hard defense and had great throws, and 25 was pretty much unstoppable as an isolation cutter. For Wooster, Dan Lynch played super well; when cutting, he was one of their top cutters, and when handling, he was one of their top handlers. He was a lot of fun to guard.
Plug for my own team, Joe Corcoran of Swarthmore had an incredible weekend. On defense, he had some clutch layout blocks, as a cutter he was able to beat pretty much anyone who was on him, and as a handler he dropped hucks and hammers all over the field at will. More than that, the intensity and spirit he played with kept the rest of us going, even with extremely low numbers. He should definitely get an all region nod.*

Had a chance to see 7 of the 10 teams, so I apologize for not including Xavier, Cedarville or Kenyon. And of course this isn’t a comprehensive list, just what I saw when my team (Messiah) was playing. I’m sure I’m missing people.

First Team All-Region
Tommy Koch, 77, Franciscan
Dom Schuster, 22, Franciscan
Christian Becker, 11, Messiah
Peter Burt, 16, Messiah
Conrad Schloer, 17, Oberlin
Calvin Trisolini, 10, Haverford
Sam Schurer, 24, Ohio Wesleyan

Second Team All-Region
Tony Bort, 85, Franciscan
Trevor Landis, 28, Messiah
JM Rallo, 26, Messiah
Aaron Olney, 17, Messiah
Danny Lynch, 34, Wooster
Tobias Harvey, 29, Oberlin
Jason Freedman, 8, Oberlin

From my team, the term unguardable gets put out there a lot, but Christian Becker truly was in every game we played all weekend. Peter Burt played O and D, skied people, ripped hucks, got layout blocks–he was everywhere. Tommy Koch is somehow underrated despite everyone knowing how good he is. Dom is my player of the year pick. Calvin was tremendous for Haverford on O, and was flying around at pretty absurd heights on D. Conrad was Oberlin’s best player against us and ripped down sky after possession-saving sky in the second half. And Sam had a Steph Curry first half against us in pool play to lead Ohio Wesleyan to take half over us. Dude just rained dimes.

Another awesome weekend at Ohio Valley Regionals. Let’s all agree to get more bids next year, yes?

1 Like

Daniel Lynch - Captain of The College of Wooster

Had a change to play every regionals qualifying team (except for Oberlin) either at sectionals or regionals.
Disclaimer: This list is based predominantly off of who I considered to be pivotal play makers that we had to specifically game plan for. I am extremely partial to the guys who I felt completely changed the games irrespective of the overall level of their team.

First Team All-Region
Dom Schuster, 22, Franciscan (A majority of our game plan was predicated on shutting Dom down and forcing other guys to beat us)
Calvin Trisolini, 10, Haverford (Top notch throws. Carried his team by making big time throws.)
Sam Schurer, 24, OWU (His throws are arguably the best in the region, especially his hucks. Our defense solely focused on limiting his throws)
34, Franciscan (Unsure of this guy’s name, but he was skying and laying people out everywhere. Based on what I saw from him at sectionals and regionals, 2nd best player on Franciscan)
Christian Becker, 11, Messiah (Along with his teammate Burt, these guys had a level of skill and atheleticism that made them threats both under and deep)
Peter Burt, 16, Messiah
Daniel Lynch, 34, Wooster (Very biased opinion of myself, but I felt as though I could catch the disc at will against any team in the region)

Second Team All-Region
Jake Lamier, 13, Xavier (heart and soul of Xavier. Was injured against us at regionals, and made the game much easier on us, because he is such a dynamic player)
Emilio Bartlett, 11, Wooster (cheekiest throws in the region. Nearly ungaurdable in the handler set.)
Dom Camperchioli, 9, Kenyon (His handling carried the team. He was hands down the best defender I played all year)
Tommy Koch, 77 Franciscan (Very solid handler that makes very few mistakes)
Tony Bort, 85, Franciscan (very consistent player that helps in every facet of the game)
Alex Piper, Kenyon. ( along with Dom, he was a huge reason for Kenyon’s success)

All-Freshman
Max Franklin, Swarthmore (I was surprised this kid was a freshman. He was the star of his team. Though Swarthmore did not do so well at regionals, this kid will do a lot for his team in the future.)

2 Likes

Jason Freedman, Oberlin 2-year captain (#8 or #16) writing here. Before I get into nominations, I’d just like to thank each and every player and coach who made my four years in the DIII Ohio Valley region so damn special. It’s been a blast y’all.

Here are my nominations. I can’t really discuss Wooster, Swarthmore, or any of the other teams from Pennsylvania that didn’t make it to Regionals, as I didn’t play them. Likewise, I wasn’t able to really track who all was a freshmen on opposing teams, so I’ll only discuss All-Freshmen nominees from OC.

All-region:

• Christian Becker - Messiah #11. Seems a no brainer for first-team. Phenomenal athlete with plus throws and field sense. I would pay money to watch him and Conrad (see below) match up downfield for 2 hours staight. Christmas was the only Messiah player who really stood out to me, which says more about the depth of their top tier than it does say the other guys don’t deserve consideration for all-region, but Christian to me is the one player that their success really hinged upon.

• Conrad Schloer - Oberlin #17 (i think). Another first-team no brainer, in my opinion. Conrad has been a MONSTEROUS deep threat for a couple years now (despite really not being very tall at all), but this season developed into an all-around all-star. Despite an incredibly high usage-rate, he had close to zero turnovers, including some fantastic breaks and deep throws. His defense is perhaps the best in the region – he consistently takes the toughest match up on the field and wins it a shocking amount of the time, whether it’s a handler or a cutter. Christmas on Messiah was the only person able to get open for yardage/goals on him at regionals, and even then, Conrad was able to adjust and start denying him the disc and even generate layout D’s on him (just like he did on everyone else) by the end of the game. C-Fresh is the realest of deals.

• Dom Schuster – Franciscan. You all know him, he requires little introduction. The smartest player in the region, and most frustrating to play against with all his throws and weapons. Worst of all, he has great spirit. Dom-Schu is pretty much the quintessential ultimate player. Thanks for all the great games, Dom!

• Tommy Koch – Franciscan. Dom might be the more talented one of this dynamic duo, but do NOT sleep on Mr. Koch. When I think of Franciscan, I think of Tommy. He is the leader and fire behind this squad. He is a filthy handler with phenomenal throws (those high-release flicks… ugh) and fakes, and he plays great handler defense. One of my favorite match ups to take in all of DIII, and he knows it (hi tommy).

• Calvin Trisolini – Haveford. If I could pick one player, based on skill and personality, to magically transport through time-space and bring onto the Horsecows, it would be Calvin. A fantastic handler with every break throw and pinpoint (no other word for it) hucks, plus a great defender in the air, PLUS a really fun and kind dude. The whole package. Keep on rockin’ Calvin.

• Alex Piper – Kenyon. It’s been a joy playing against pipe for 4 years now. One of absolute best cutters in the region. He’s often forced into the handler set given his huge role on Serf, but if he were able to work downfield with the support of several elite handlers, I think he would probably be in the discussion for POTY. My second choice for player I most wish I could steal and bring to the Horsecows, cuz he’s also a big-time homie.

• Sam Schurer – OWU. For a couple years now, OWU’s offense has stopped and started with Sam. His hucks are huge, breaks crisp, and cuts powerful. To be honest, I can’t help but think that perhaps he could do a better job trusting and integrating his teammates, as there are some serious weapons on that team (Gabe, Kyle, and CQ all come to mind) who I think are good enough to be in this discussion but simply aren’t allowed to have as much of a role in the Sam Show. Regardless, Sam has the skill to be on anyone’s All-Region list for sure.

• Jay R – Franciscan. 3 years and I still can’t even begin to spell your last name… Sorry Jay. Sometime operating in the shadows behind Tommy and Dom in terms of praise and recognition, but have no doubts – Jay’s ability to make plays (layouts, huge grabs, bail out break throws) is on par with the best in the division. Without Jay as a downfield target for Tommy and Dom, I really don’t think they would have as much success as they do.

• Jake Lamier – Xavier. I don’t know Jake all that well but he was a really great handler, and definitely the center piece of BLOB’s offense. I had a blast matching up with him, and I think he certainly deserves a consideration for All-region, perhaps at the 2nd team level.

• Quick hits: Never played him in college but I know Scrima for Bucknell is filth. I’d vote him in for 2nd-team despite never actually seeing him with the mudsharks. I only played Dan Lynch in the fall but I know he’s a legit player. Cedarville had all depth, and no stars, as far as I could tell. I’m sure there gonna be a force in years to come.

• Other Oberlin Guys who rock and AT LEAST deserve a shoutout if not an all-region nod:
    Jacob Gilbert #13 has perhaps the most beautiful layout grabs of anyone I’ve ever seen play the game. In fact, this dude just fucking catches everything. Try to make him drop a disc, you can’t. He embodies the phrase “catch radius”, and is our go-to initiation cutter.
    Peter LaFreniere #24 – shocked nobody writes about this guy, but also not surprised. He’s quietly an absolute rock for us on defense - his guy simply never touches the disc. On offense he fills any role with ease (central handler, stack front, initiation cutter, deep continuation, anything) and puts up an occasional massive backhand (see semi-final against messiah) PS HE’S A JUNIOR oh shit.
    Ben Rabin #12 is the second smartest player in the region (behind Dom, sorry Ben), as evidenced by the fact that he has become a primary O-line handler on a deep regional contender in only 3 years of playing ultimate…??? Weird. Don’t sleep on his layout D’s either.
    Henry Rice #23, our 6’2 monster, has the patience and throws of a handler, despite having the 40 time and vertical of an NFL receiver. Scariest part of all is that he’s only in his 2nd year of playing any ultimate.
    Eli SG, our spiritual leader, has HUGE hucks and breaks, and one of the best strike cuts in the region, and he has a real knack for generating turns on D. On a shallower (and more huck-happy) team, he’s a legitimate star.
    Robby Lewish-Nash Our Junior captain, Robby took a back seat to some of the other playmakers on the team, purely in a show of leadership. Starting next year, you will see much more of Oberlin’s offense revolve around him at the center. Plus best curls in the business.
    Toby Harvey, as mentioned by Charlie Hoppes, is a deadly sophomore handler… you will all know him VERY VERY well in the years to come.
    Ty Wagner wasn’t able to stay healthy for much of the series, but when his hamstrings are in tact, watch out. Potentially returning to OC for another year, and if he does, he is my sleeper pick for POTY in the region, no shit.

OBERLIN ALL-FRESHMEN:
Jacob Arons – Another member of a long lineage of Oberlin freshmen from the Massachusetts-ultimate scene with a long, flowing mane of hair (see Toby Harvey, Robby Lewish-Nash, Eli SG). With 4 years of HS ultimate experience, this kid is already the real deal. He has fantastic breaks, amazing field awareness, and humongous layouts on O and D. He will be a regional force starting like 4 weeks ago.
Noam Fisherman – a fixture on our starting O-line as a handler, he has some of the smoothest breaks and one of the highest offensive IQ’s on the team. As his athleticism and defense improves, he’ll also be a star in the region.
Sebastien Schneider – another starting member of the O-line, the best word I’ve heard to describe Seb is “Money”. His field awareness is off the charts, and his nose for the endzone is like no other. Pair that with some sneaky-sick space passes and… $$$ in the bank. Honestly I could go on to name others but I’m growing tired of writing this fucking novel. The future is bright for the 'Cows!

Lastly, there’s me. I love frisbee! Sometime’s I throw hammers, other times I throw flick hucks to Conrad. One time I laid out Piper on an under cut and it made me happy. Often times I run and run and run until whoever was covering me decides to stop. Mostly I just yell really loud, make jokes with the other team on the sideline, care way too much, and try way too hard. Vote for me for class-president of the region and I promise to give us more bids, because one is not fucking enough, dammit!

Peace out OV-D3, it’s been real as fuck.

Love,

Jason “Hardo” “Big J” Freedman

5 Likes

I’d like to preface my post by stating that everyone that has been mentioned above is very talented and deserves to be in the conversation, but these three names that I will be talking about showed excellent skill on the field and equally as important they showed incredible sportsmanship. Oberlin, Xavier, and Kenyon were the most spirited teams I saw this weekend, and these were the three players that stood out from skill and sportsmanship.

Dom Camperchioli (Kenyon) not only torched you on the field with his handling, but he’d be the first the congratulate you on a good play against him. Lead Kenyon on the field with spirited leadership, and was able to compete with the opponents best players on both offense and defense

Danny Herold (Xavier) lead Xavier with big throws and huge layouts, and paired this with good spirit on the field and congratulating players off the field. Guarding him wasn’t easy because all it took was one good cut then he’d drop a bomb to one of the young and quick xavier guys (A few of these guys have to be up for all freshmen right?).

Conrad Schloer (Oberlin) seemed to standout on a overall very spirited Oberlin team. Oberlin is always fun to play because of their skill and sportsmanship, and Conrad embodied this with his athletic ability to beat people on the field and having an incredible amount of spirit.

1 Like

I’d like to nominate Gabe Halperin-Goldstein (#18) from my team (Haverford BDU) for All-Freshmen. He stepped up big time when we needed another handler and he has been phenomenal all year. Despite Cal being our big kahuna (and yes he should be all region), Gabe HG was literally next to him the whole way. Not only was he very consistent with his throws, but he also went to ground multiple times to save what would have been throwaways.

I’d also like to give a shout to our Jordan Acker (#24) for All-Freshmen. Jordan’s ability to leave even the best of defenders in his wake continues to amaze us. He might not be the tallest cutter, but his ability to read the disc and position himself has made him a huge deep threat. His ability to make catches that no one expects and to keep calm and score the game winner speak volumes to his consistency.

In short, I nominate these two simply because I don’t think we would have gotten as far as we did without them and because as Freshmen they went up against some of the best teams and gave them hell.

Hey guys, I know the voting has already opened for the awards, but we wanted to make some last-minute contributions to the discussion and a few shout-outs to some of Kenyon’s players.

Calvin Trisolini - Haverford
One of the main reason for Haverford’s success. Calvin is their main offensive threat, taking the disc every other and putting it wherever he wants on the field.

Emilio Bartlett - Wooster
As a handler, Emilio is really able to control the pace and flow of the game. His throws are always well placed and good decisions. His breaks are very difficult to defend, opening up the entire field for Wooster’s offense.

Dan Lynch - Wooster
Lynch is perhaps one of the fastest guys around and is always willing to put his body on the line, both on offense or on defense. He compliments Emilio for a killer combo of accuracy and speed.

Jay Ratajczak - Franciscan
Probably the most underappreciated player in this forum. Unstoppable in the air and always laying out for big end zone grabs.

Tommy Koch - Franciscan
Tommy not only wows with his remarkable athleticism, his bid-through D’s that come out of nowhere, and his beautiful throws, but his ability to serve as a great leader and role model for both his team and other teams in the region is incredibly special. He plays the game right- he plays hard by the rules while maintaining some of the best spirit I’ve seen. Young players should be looking to his play as a textbook example of how a great ultimate player plays and acts.

Dominic Schuster- Franciscan
Dom is the most difficult cutter to guard in the region. He is fast, his agility is great, and his timing is perfect. Once the disc is in his hands, he will put it where he wants. His throws are all incredible, especially his break hucks.

Sam Schurer - OWU
Hands down the best throws in the Region and the main reason for OWU’s success. Not only is it impossible to take a look away from Sam if he wants it, but it is nearly impossible to keep the disc out of his hands. Great spirit, too.

Conrad Schlör - Oberlin
One of Oberlin’s top cutters. Incredibly fast. Great defender, perhaps the best I saw in the region. Getting open on Conrad is next to impossible.

Jason Freedman - Oberlin
A speedy handler capable of getting open just about anywhere. His array of throws not only utilize the breakside, but also give Oberlin’s cutters well-timed deep looks. Jason seems to embody perfectly the mix of competitiveness and fun that makes Oberlin one of the most enjoyable match-ups you can find. His leadership and loud presence on the sideline was visible even during the most difficult moments of games.

Alex Piper - Kenyon
Kenyon’s go-to cutter for years and hands down the best player on the team. Gets open on nearly every under, drawing the top defender from the other team and even then teams would even have a help defender to try to shut him down. Often he goes every other on offense, making several layout grabs in a single point and putting up buttery hucks in stride to open deep looks. When the disc is turned, his defense is phenomenal, shutting down his man consistently and has huge layout D’s. He and Tommy Koch are perhaps the most fun matchup to watch, as their offense and defense are nearly identical. Easy pick for first team all region.

Dom Camperchioli - Kenyon
Long considered Kenyon’s best defender, Dom made the leap this year from a situational thrower to a full-time center handler. His relentless style of play allows for him to get open for nearly every reset throw as well as shut down the best cutters on the opposing team. A true game changer on both sides of the disc, Dom’s invaluable leadership and spirited play make him a standout in the region.

Charlie Lehman - Kenyon
Charlie is one of the most enjoyable players to watch. A truly explosive athlete, he is willing to put his body on the line for layout grabs and huge blocks that challenge under-cuts. Only in his second year of play, Charlie managed to take over the offense with well-timed continuation cuts and provide a streaking downfield target for Piper’s hucks.

Isaiah Stavchansky - Kenyon
Isaiah is the engine behind Kenyon’s D-line success. Starting with his massive pulls, Isaiah makes himself a commanding presence on the field. He takes some of the toughest matchups, and manages to consistently get blocks with his physical style of play. On offense, he is capable of getting open on every-other throw and advancing the disc with quick handler motion. Isaiah puts up beautiful deep shots that have earned Kenyon quick breaks and shifted momentum back to their favor.

All-freshman nomination:

Al Gourrier Jr. (AJ) - Kenyon
Just about anyone that matched up against AJ will likely remember him as a blur of lime-green cleats heading toward the endzone. Although he had never played a game of ultimate just a few months ago, he has worked hard to learn the game and establish himself as one of Kenyon’s best (and undoubtedly fastest) cutters. Not only leading the team in goals, AJ played stingy defense on opposing cutters and forced turns by following every play and fighting for the disc. Always keeping his cool and a smile on his face, AJ is a spirited competitor and will definitely take on a huge role in Serf’s future.