Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All-Region 2017: Atlantic Coast (D-I Men's)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007ff40c071fe0>

Who are the best players in the Atlantic Coast region? This is an open thread to discuss All-Region nominations, All-Freshman nominations, coaching awards, and more. Stay positive and keep it civil.

The only thing I feel strongly about is that Gus Norrbom or Anders Juengst gets freshman of the year. From what I saw this year Gus is the strongest handler on William and Mary who just won their section. Great IQ, V quick.

Juengst is probably higher profile but he still deserves the hype. Fits in well to the UNC D-line from what I’ve seen.

1 Like

From the Colonial Section here are my picks.

All Region
Tyler Monroe(GDub): This is a no brainer. TyMon checks every box for an All Region selection. He plays for Truck, gets many a AUDL highlight, it’s literally impossible for you to not notice him on the field (1 because he’s massive and 2 because he’s going every other). Pick this dude for All Region, especially if Gdub makes some noise at Regionals.

Kyle Johnson (GDub): This one is a little harder for me. If Gdub does well I think it’s because Kyle (and Henry Betts who is also cool) really takes over games. Kyle plays for the Breeze too for what it’s worth, but I don’t think he’s as valuable to the team as Tyler. Great player though.

John Lee Walden (UMD): Johnny Frisbee doesn’t possess the advantage of the Gdub guys in that his team doesn’t rely on him going every other for them to succeed. So to the outsider looking in it might seem as though he’s not as important. Incorrect. John is a baller. Short guy big hopes. Vertical and Horizontal. Scored 11 points on Oregon that one time. Like Monroe he checks all the boxes and is a great player for UMD. Also unlike Tyler when I tell him a joke on the field he actually laughs.

Christian Boxley (Georgetown): Probably the only guy I would say people should take a look at who isn’t going to be at Regionals. Box is great in the air and is well rounded enough to do what Georgetown asks of him. But make no mistake someone on your team is probably going to get roofed by this dude and the worst part is you know it’s coming.

Greg Mohler (Delaware): I haven’t actually gotten to see Greg play in person but from how I understand Delaware works he would have to be my pick. Watching film of Delaware shows that our team was getting gashed by him over and over and I would assume he is relied upon just as much in any other game.

And then for FOTY, I definitely give a shoutout to Kevin Versteeg on Towson. The amount of responsibility we give to that guy on both O and D shows how important he has become to our team in only his first year. Plus he’s usually good for one sick layout a game.

Other Cool Dudes who should be considered
David Mossman (NCSU)
Matt Gouchoe Hanas (UNC)
Marc Rovner (UNC)
Elijah Long (UNC)
Jack Williams (UNCW)
JD Hastings (UNCW)
Nathan Kwon (UNC)
Evan Hurley (UVA)
Torin Porter (JMU)
Henry Trotter (WM)
Joe Freund (VT)
Matt Carter (GMU)
Akram Abudeer (VCU)
Trent Cooper (VCU)

2 Likes

Gdub - Tyler Monroe

Ty got snubbed last year and should have been a lock for All-Region. The same mistake should not be repeated. A 2-year captain for us, he has the ability to completely dominate a game. On offense he’s a ~true hybrid~ - virtually unguardable downfield and in the handler space. His throws are money, he can break the mark at will, and even if you know he wants to go every-other you just can’t stop it. On defense he’s a scary presence as last-back in a zone and pretty much unskyable, as well as a lockdown person defender with a ridiculous mark. Beyond his play, he has been a great leader for Gdub and his passion for the game lifts everyone around him. Plenty of high-level experience (Truck & Breeze) and an excellent teammate to have. This pick should be no question.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s right to limit it to those two players, especially with regionals yet to happen. Kai Marcus (Juengst’s teammate) has also played very well this season and is definitely in contention for the award. They are both big contributors for a strong UNC team. Connor Russell from UNCW has played well for the Seamen this season and could play a big role at regionals. I’ve also watched some of George Washington’s games this season and freshman #2 Elijah Mishkind is unstoppable on offense as a handler, opening up the deep game with his throws and shredding zones along with Tyler Monroe (POTR candidate). If GW makes a cinderella run at regionals, Mishkind and Monroe will set themselves up nicely to receive their respective awards.

4 Likes

The Alien Mountain Nomads out of App State haven’t gotten to many big tournaments this year, but we have some absolute playmakers that can’t be left out of the all-region discussion.
Benj Thomsen- Benj is an absolute monster in the deep space which opens up easy unders as well. He’s always open downfield and has elite throws after he gets the disc. He’s a nightmare on D-line too, covering a huge chunk of the field as our zone mid or gobbling up anything thrown deep, then after the turn he can shred from the handler set. He has plenty of elite experience in club with Turbine and in the AUDL formerly with the Express and now with Raleigh.
Caleb Louie- Caleb is the guy nobody ever wants to match up against. He mostly plays cutter on O-line, but still gets the disc on every other throw with lethal give and goes after in-cuts. He’s as sound positionally as anyone and has a great nose for the disc in the deep space. I’ve never seen anyone come close to shutting him down and the opposing top defender usually gives up trying to match up with him by the end of the game.
Brian Maulucci- Possibly the best pure thrower in North Carolina. He’s got every throw you can think of and he uses them all in game successfully. His deep bombs are unreal, and his throws and ulti IQ let him break through any zone at will.

There is a lot of talk about Tyler Monroe and while he is a great player, spirit of the game is a huge part of what makes ultimate great and to be an all region player you must emulate that. I got a chance to play against and guard Tyler and he would not stop talking trash. Talk with your skill not with your mouth. I’ve seen him make incredible plays, but in the world of ultimate you have to be a good sport too. So as far as skill goes he’s a good pick, but if we’re looking at what makes a true ultimate player (spirit of the game) its simply not there.

5 Likes

I don’t play in the Colonial section, and as such don’t think I’m much of a D.C. area homer, but we (UVA) played GDub earlier this spring and TyMon was both real good and real nice. Meanest thing he did all game was absolutely shred my mark with inside throws.

1 Like

I would agree. I play in the Colonial section and our team is far from the biggest fans of GDub, but I will say Tyler isn’t a super big trash talker. Maybe that other guy had a bad experience but I’ve never heard trash talk from Tyler, even if he doesn’t laugh at my jokes.

I’ve been a teammate of Tyler’s at the club and pro level for 3 years now, and I can’t recall any time when he played with anything that could be construed as poor spirit at a practice or in a game. And he’s a great teammate.

Stop :clap: hyping :clap: yula

Feels like the NC section is underrepresented here, so here are some thoughts. Simply my opinions. In no particular order.

All Region
Jack Williams (UNCW - POTY)
JD Hastings (UNCW)
Danny Mercer (UNCW)
Willie Stewart (UNCW)
Nick MacLeod (UNC)
Matt Gouchoe-Hanas (UNC)
Norman Archer (UNC)
Nathan Kwon (UNC)
Walker Matthews (UNC)
Elijah Long (UNC)
Sean Murray (NC State)
(Davis Mossman)
Joe Freund (VT)
Tyler Monroe (G-dub)

All-Freshmen:
Kai Marcus (UNC - FOTY)
Anders Juengst (UNC)
Sean Murray (NC State)
Conor Chickos (NC State)
Austin Von Alten (NC State)
Conor Russell (UNCW)
Matt Ellis (UNCW)
Adam Norrbom (VT)

• UNC should be highly represented on the All-region teams, as they have been one of the most dominant teams in the division this year.
  • With all due respect to Tyler Monroe (who should absolutely be first team all region), I strongly feel that Jack Williams is the best player in the AC region. No one impacts a game the way that Jack does. He’s the most dominant player in the college division imo.
  • NC State’s freshmen should be highly present in the freshmen all-region group, as they have played a HUGE role in that team’s success this year.
1 Like

I think for the most part everyone knows the big names. Bummer that we didn’t get to play either Walker or Elijah Long on UNC, so I don’t really how to rank them. Also didn’t play NcSt, so don’t know who is good on that team.
Jack should be player of the year.
1st
Jack Williams
Matt Gouche Hanas
Joe Freund
Norman Archer
22 on Wilmington
Either Walker, Elijah, or someone else on NCST maybe, idk who

2nd Team
This is a little more interesting. The only real plug I have is that Kyle Johnson (GWU) should make one of these lists. He is a 1st team level player without a doubt, who has to do heavy lifting on both sides of the disc like no one else in the region for GW to have success, which I believe we did. Our most important hucker, leading layout blocker, as well as huge in the air, and came up massive in all of our crucial games on Sunday. Furthermore, he embodies Spirit of the Game better than any other high level player I have ever met, and was a great leader and role model for our team all season. If played him this season you would agree.
2nd team
Kyle Johnson
Dusty JMU
Henry LaGarde UVA
Pat WMU
Walden Maryland
Grayson UNCW
Carter George Mason

Freshman of the Year: Have to plug my guy Elijah Mishkind. He is all over this thread hyping himself up, but I can say without a doubt he had the biggest responsibility of any freshman in the region this year, and once again in the biggest moments he came up massively. He ran the show in the backfield for us basically from the beginning of the season. He possesses a variety of breaks as well as handler moves that allowed him to run the backfield in elimination games on Sunday of regionals. Also a good hucker, an improving defender who saved our season with a D on Matt Cater on Saturday against GMU. A great competitor, he was integral to the success of a team that made semi-finals of regionals, and should be on the list for all freshman.

1 Like

Some people I think that are unheard and deserve a little more spotlight in this all region conversation are Matt Carter (GMU) and Henry Trotter (W&M). These are just two of probably several unsung players who do not necessarily receive all the recognition they deserve:

I think Henry Trotter is an excellent and exciting player to watch. His defensive presence is felt by all the teams that play against darkhorse. He has always been spirited when I have played against him and is just an all around good player. Most importantly his leadership lead W&M to winning the Virginia Section tournament and making them a very big threat at the regional tournament.

I think Matt Carter is an easy contender for All-Region. Anyone who has played GMU knows exactly who he is and what he is capable of. He is a very crafty thrower and crazy athletic player with tons of swagger. He has high level experience playing for the Pheonix in past year, as well as the national level mixed team AMP out of philly. He lead the mason team to a 10th place finish at regionals, notably winning games against UMD and UDel as well as a close 14 to 12 loss against Gdub. He is a very good player well deserving of this accolade.

Other easy mentions:

Jack Williams (UNCW)
Nathan Kwon (UNC)
Matt Gouchoe Hanas (UNC)
Joe Freund (VT)
Tyler Monroe (Gdub)
Akram Abudeer (VCU)
Torin Porter (JMU)
Evan Hurley (UVA)

1 Like

After Regionals here are my thoughts.

First Team (in no particular order):
Jack Williams (POTY)(UNCW)
JD Hastings (UNCW)
Nick MacLeod (UNC)
Nathan Kwon (UNC)
Matt Gouchoe-Hanas (UNC)
Tyler Monroe (GW)
Joe Freund (VT)

Second Team:
Davis Mossman (NC State)
David Jones (NC State)
Willie Stewart (UNCW)
Austin McGrayne (UNCW)
Norman Archer (UNC)
Walker Matthews (UNC
Elijah Long (UNC)

Freshmen All-region:
Kai Marcus (FOTY) (UNC)
Anders Juengst (UNC)
Gus Norrbom (W&M)
Adam Norrbom (VT)
Connor Russell (UNCW)
Sean Murray (NC State)
Austin von Alten (NC State)

Notes:

• Jack Williams absolutely proved himself to be POTY. He a menace to deal with both downfield and in the handler set, and had a huge impact on both offense and defense.
  • Kai Marcus showed off his throwing prowess for the UNC d-line, and he was the biggest standout freshmen. There were a number of other solid young guys who played well, but I didn’t see anyone out there as talented as Marcus.
  • Few people are talking about UNC’s Nick MacLeod, and I think that is a MASSIVE oversight. He’s one of UNC’s top 3 players and plays his large role tremendously well. He had a huge impact as an initiating cutter on offense and block-generating defender as a crossover player. He was arguably UNC’s best player at regionals. If he is left off the all-region list it will be a pretty significant snub.