Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All-Region 2023: Atlantic Coast (D-I Men's)

Who are the best players in the Atlantic Coast region? This is an open thread to discuss All-Region nominations, All-Freshman nominations, coaching awards, and more. Stay positive and keep it civil.

I met John McDonnell at sectionals a few weeks ago. I got roped into watching my little brother ride the bench for Duke, while our parents went to Northeast Regionals. So there I am, standing on the sideline, and who walks by but John fucking McDonnell himself. I was nervous as shit, and just kept looking at him as he was standing on the sideline playing solitaire on his phone, and waited, but was too scared to say anything to him. Pretty soon little brother started crying, and I’m trying to quiet him down because I didn’t want her to bother John, but he wouldn’t stop and pretty soon John walks over. He started running his hands through his hair and asked what was wrong. I replied that he was probably hungry for some playing time. So John puts down his phone, picked up my brother and lifted his shirt. He breast fed him right there in the middle of the field. Chill guy, really nice about it. Would let him breast feed my brother again.

5 Likes

I met ROTY Dan Zhu at sectionals a few weeks ago. I got roped into watching my little brother ride the bench for Duke, while our parents went to Northeast Regionals. So there I am, standing on the sideline, and who walks by but Dan fucking Zhu. I was nervous as shit, and just kept looking at him as he was standing on the sideline playing solitaire on his phone, and waited, but was too scared to say anything to him. Pretty soon little brother started crying, and I’m trying to quiet him down because I didn’t want her to bother Dan, but he wouldn’t stop and pretty soon Dan walks over. He started running his hands through his hair and asked what was wrong. I replied that he was probably hungry for some playing time. So Dan puts down his phone, picked up my brother and lifted his shirt. He breast fed him right there in the middle of the field. Chill guy, really nice about it. Would let him breast feed my brother again.

4 Likes

Ethan Ruh and Langston Lee from William and Mary are both incredibly deserving of all region spots. Ruh is one of the best defenders and cutters in the region and opposing teams have nightmares about playing against him (see https://youtu.be/K8qd04ieSNQ). Lee is an elite thrower and isolation cutter and commands the William and Mary offense with smooth break throws very rarely turning the disc over.

He’s one of the biggest dicks I know but he is pretty good a frisbee: Matt LaBar on JMU

3 Likes

Alright folks, here are the hot takes I know you’ve all been waiting for. I’ve dredged the muck and uncovered the hidden gems. These are the guys you’ve never heard of but are putting in the WORK to cling to national relevance.

-Dylan Hawkins (UNC): Mercurial star who carried NC State to 4 straight 'chips as an undergrad has quietly been molding the lesser known University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill into national hopefuls while become a… Pharmacist (maybe, I think that’s what I heard?). Fastest player in the division, best throws east of the international dateline, least help in the region. First Team LOCK.

-Albert (Duke): The GOAT, TriForce legend, give him his flowers

-The Ineligible Dude (UNC-C): Highest RPAD (Rankings Points Added by Disqualification) in the nation, put this dude in the Southwest and that region is getting 5 bids, easy.

-Brandon Van Dusen (UCLA): Jinxed the 4th Southwest bid by evading the “degree seeking” criteria in USAU’s eligibility guidelines, acting as a dynamic duo with The Ineligible Dude. Certainly deserving of a first team nod for that.

-Ben Simmons (Brooklyn Nets, NBA): Not a frisbee player but this guy really seems like he needs a W :’(

-Kevin P. (UNC): Dude just has the right vibe.

-Alex Davis (Retired from the college game): Needs fodder for twitter, I think

1 Like

If you wanna talk about best players that have migrated from the north(Maine) into the Atlantic Coast region look no further than Wilmington. Stewart Kelley. You can’t miss him. Red-golden hair that sparkles when he’s beating you deep or upline. The sheer athleticism Stewart has brings fear to those who take on the daunting task of guarding him. Stewart Kelley is the true definition of a hybrid and was cooking everyone as a rookie on UNCW’s Seamen. Stewart Kelley for all freshman and all region.

2 Likes

Diego Collazo is a clear pick for all freshman and all region. He has towering hucks, explosive defense, and a true dog mentality. He does all this while being one of the most fair and spirited players I have ever played with or against. Respected and feared by his opponents, he’s gonna be a problem in the years to come.

2 Likes

All region:

• Ben Dameron (UNC)
  • Dylan Hawkins (UNC)
  • Rutledge Smith (UNC)
  • Sean Wiles (NC State)
  • Cooper Williams (NC State)
  • Albert Yuan (Duke)
  • Diego Collazo (UNCW)

Second Team:

• Gavin Russell (USC) (could have been first team)
  • Suhas Madiraju (NC State)
  • Matt McKnight (UNC)
  • Matt LaBar (JMU)
  • Ben Simmons (UNCC)
  • Jacob Louie (App)
  • Stewart Kelly (UNCW)

All Freshman

• Diego Collazo (UNCW)
  • Stewart Kelly (UNCW)
  • Christian Belus (UNCW)
  • Henry Kennedy (NC State)
  • Henri Lessard (NC State)
  • Samuel Redinbo (UNC)
2 Likes

all region
albert yuan (duke) one of the most impressively athletic players ive seen all year. Great speed, very accurate throws and excellent bids
bryce whitney (duke) lockdown defender consistently allowing duke to disrupt offenses
ethan ruh(w&m) incredibly athletic with amazing bids, very clean throws and extremely potent on defense. Has shown great results on offense.
langston lee(w&m) excellent throws, calm and consistent handler movement, incredibly reliable
bobby gunshefski (usc) constant threat, very difficult to contain, solid in the air with great throws
matt labar (jmu) athletic, dominant in the air, jmu runs through him, very good player

freshman
jacob herz (w&m): very good all around player for w&m. extremely athletic, great dline threat with solid throws and confidence. fixture on universe d-lines all year as a freshman and always searching for a key block.

Stewart Kelley is an obvious all freshman and all region pick for me. His insane athleticism and sharp cutting ability make him one of the best deep threats in the whole AC region. He has great hucks in motion and is RELENTLESS on defense. Kids a monster

Christian Belus is one of the most dynamic players I’ve ever played with. He’s an incredible lockdown defender, always taking the hardest matchup. Once there’s a turn, which he usually gets, he can launch a full field huck or go deep and sky your best deep defender. His top tier athleticism and elite mentality also are reasons why he deserves to be all region and all freshman this year.

2 Likes

UNCW Seamen is on the come up. Watching Diego Collazo HOOPING on kids of all shapes and sizes at regional, as a freshman, was an incredible site to see. He has everything from fast handler cuts, BOMB throws, cheeky scoobers, the IQ of veteran handler, Explosive layout D’s and the biggest smile on the field. Clear pick for All Fresman and All region.

1 Like

If you’ve ever played frisbee you’ve had a defender. If you’ve ever been defended by Christian Belus you’ve been put on an island. The all around player you want on your team. He’ll throw the full field huck run down and sky everyone. He’s built like that. The most athletic mafk i’ve ever played with and against. The sheer explosiveness he shows on the field is inhuman, having him on your team is a dream, playing against him is a nightmare. Christian Belus for all region and all freshman.

2 Likes

Diego Collazo took me in and raised me when i was an abandoned lost child. He couldve just fed me an left, but instead he taught my hunter gatherer frisbee skills so i would be able to fend for myself and become the gamer i am today.

1 Like

1st Team All Region

Ben Dameron (UNC)
Rutledge Smith (UNC)
Dylan Hawkins (UNC)
Sean Wiles (NC State)
Cooper Williams (NC State)
Jacob Louie (App State)
Albert Yuan (Duke)

2nd Team All Region

Xander Wilcox (Duke)
Ben Simmons (UNC Charlotte)