Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All-Region 2024: Metro East (D-I Women’s)

Who are the best players in the Metro East region? This is an open thread to discuss All-Region nominations, All-Freshman nominations, coaching awards, and more. Stay positive and keep it civil.

#20 on UConn for All-Freshman. Jahne Carrenard joined the team and quickly started handling on the kill line. She can seriously do it all. Reeling in Ds as a deep in zone, GORGEOUS flick hucks, beautiful hammers, lays out when need be, and some crazy sticky hands just to name a few things. It would be tough to try and find someone with better spirit and a happier aura too. She’s great. Can’t wait to see what she does with her next couple years.

2 Likes

#0 Jenna Li on Cornell for All-Freshman. Honestly, for all-region as well. She is among Cornell’s top players – she’s a calm yet powerful presence as a handler but can also do everything else. She handles, she hucks, she gets Ds, she skies, and she has makes everyone else on the team look good too. Not to mention her knowledge of the game, spirit on and off the field, and determination. She is a big reason that Cornell was able to put up great showings against other Metro East powerhouse teams. The Metro East should look out for Jenna because she is a force to be reckoned with.

With another regionals come and gone, here’s shoutouts for some of the teammates and opponents that lit up the field this past weekend. To start with some of my teammates:

#10 Wilhelmina Graff (Yale) - There is no shortage of admirable qualities Graff has as a player, but I’ll highlight a couple for you. When she gets into her flow on offense, she can’t be denied. She’ll happily march every-other all the way to the endzone or use her expansive arsenal of throws to get things rolling. On defense, her speed and superb field positioning get her plenty of blocks.

#19 Lila Brady (Yale) - Brady is a savvy handler and rock-solid defender. Offensively, you can tell she’s spent a lot of time optimizing the way she plays because she’s always finding the right spaces and moving the disc at pace. Her innate understanding of what her opponent wants also allows her to generate handblocks and clutch ds for Mona. She and Graff led the team in ds over the regionals weekend.

#26 Louise Puchalla (Yale) - Puchalla has been a force on the field since their first year but they’ve stepped up their hucks and defending game in big ways this season. They’re the one intercepting deep shots, orchestrating the team to a break, and crossing over when we need some extra firepower.

#9 Cosima Deetman (Yale) - On Mona we like to say Deetman has the best hands because she can catch literally anything, even passes not originally meant for her. Deetman’s the reliable offensive outlet that makes the Mona hex go ‘round and her continued growth as a thrower makes her even more of a threat, year after year.

#23 Caroline Eldridge (Yale) - Eldridge has been running the deep space for a while now and there’s few players in the region who can track down a deep shot like Clem. She’s also taken up a big hybrid role for Mona this year, using her experience and throws to initiate the offensive flow.

#99 Sophia DeLuca (Yale) - DeLuca has been an instant impact player for Mona with her unmatched speed and energy. She’s a tenacious defender who’s unafraid to take the hardest match-ups and an absolutely unguardable cutter.

—----------------
And some opponents that stood out to me over the weekends (conference and regionals):

#8 Riley Shaeffer (NYU) - Shaeffer is an amazing downfield presence for Purple Reign. She made some truly incredible plays at conferences and regionals, including a masterfully controlled toe-in score that had my jaw on the ground.

#4 Carmen Lo (UConn) - Lo is a big threat on the field any way you slice it. She’s comfortable helming the Rise offense with her big throws and patient movement, and she’s a tough defender who’s capable of shutting down her match-ups.

#7 Jenna Gall (UConn) - I continue to be impressed by Gall’s speed and playmaking. She had a great layout block in the endzone during our Regionals game and consistently makes clutch plays for Rise. Her quickness makes her an extremely difficult cutter to stop as well.

#18 Eastelle Ding (Columbia) - Ding is a talented thrower and offensive anchor for Chimera. Her ability to move the disc quickly and decisively through zone sets throughout the series was impressive.

#97 Hanah Glick (Rutgers) - Glick was taking quality shots for Rutgers all weekend and seems to be a huge presence for them on the field.

#30 Jessica Dugo (Rutgers) - Dugo was often on the receiving end of a Nightshade huck and her prowess in the air speaks for itself.

—----------------
Rookie nominations:

#3 Ai-Li Hollander (Yale) - Hollander immediately took up a huge role for Mona as an anchor handler. She knows how to crack defenses with precise throws and endless patience, and she’s more than capable of sending the disc deep too. Plus, she always seems to come up with a crucial block just when we need it. I’m so excited to see what another year will bring for you.

#20 Jahne Carrenard (UConn) - Carrenard is a polished thrower who’s already operating as one of Rise’s universe line handlers as a first-year. She’s proven her defensive chops too with a multitude of poach blocks and shut-down d.

1 Like

All-region:

#24 Jolie Krebs (Bing) - I worry she won’t be talked about a lot on this thread because she’s just THAT good. She can do everything; cut, handle, play lights out defense. She deserves all the hype and more.

#5 Melissa Torchio (Bing) - she really stood out to me when watching Bing play. Very reliable handler that could just take over when needed and did it pretty dang well.

#10 Wilhelmina Graff (Yale) - Yales offense ran through her. When she got going it was really hard to stop her and her decision making was precise and smart.

#97 Hanah Glick (Rutgers) - Hanah is a cutter that was put into a handler position this season and excelled beyond measures. Her throws are consistent and she’s extremely quick on her feet. You can put her in any position and she’ll have no issue rising to the challenges thrown at her.

#30 Jessica Dugo (Rutgers) - she scored 80% of Rutgers goals against Yale at sectionals. Shes a huge threat in the deep space and never stops running. Can also throw sick hammers.

#9 Jasmine Akman (Rutgers) - main O line cutter for Nightshade who also does not stop running. Her field vision when playing zone offense is amazing and when she takes over on a point it’s really hard to stop her.

#8 Rylie Shaeffer (NYU) - I believe she played every point against Rutgers at regionals and you could not tell if she was tired. She is exceptional in the deep space and her field awareness is amazing.

#18 Eastelle Ding (Columbia) - such a solid handler who isn’t afraid to run deep as well. Truly shows no issue when throwing thru and around a cup defense and overall is extremely fun to watch play this sport.

#11 Sandy Yang (Rutgers) for All-Freshmen: she joined Nightshade and immediately was someone I could trust on offense as a center handler. Her handler skills are really amazing and she’s only going to get better.

#16 Eve Lesburg - Cornell: huge threat in both handler and cutting spaces. amazing deep shots and great field awareness. super reliable. her teammates look to her every time when they need to reset the disc because she easily beats her to defender to get open. absolutely unguardable and did an incredible job leading Cornell to a successful season