Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

Deep Look: College Contenders, 2017 Forecast, New Media Deals

Charlie Eisenhood goes PTI-style on this week’s Deep Look with a smorgasbord of topics, including top college storylines, the future of pro ultimate, new media deals, and new rules. Charlie also makes his picks for CCC and MLC before he goes on vacation.

Deep Look: College Contenders, 2017 Forecast, New Media Deals

Music: The Magnificent Seven - The Clash

Note: You can follow Ultiworld and Deep Look on Spreaker. You can also find the Deep Look podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, RSS, and your other favorite podcasting apps.

Originally published at: https://ultiworld.com/2016/10/28/deep-look-college-contenders-2017-forecast-new-media-deals/

Not sure about the comment with Oregon playing not many tournaments last year. They played 4 tournaments in the Spring season before Sectionals and had the 3rd most sanctioned games of any team played at Nationals this past year… [See college final season rankings - http://play.usaultimate.org/teams/events/team_rankings/?RankSet=College-Men - they had 47, Washington had 48 and Case Cal Poly-SLO had 54. ]

Maybe you mean from the Fall this year / Fall last year?

Super late getting back to you on this, but your point is well taken. I think my point was more that they didn’t play many competitive tournaments last year. They basically only played elite comp at Stanford Invite. NW Challenge was thin on the Men’s side.

Fair enough- I do think that it’s an indicator of how they did last year versus other top teams who played more elite competition. Oregon made Nationals, but after only 3 losses all year they didn’t have games against tougher competition so they weren’t ready for all games to be like that versus other teams who had even 1 more elite tournament under their belt (see Harvard at the Stanford Invite and College Easterns and Minnesota at Warmup and College Easterns as examples I looked at), it seems like they just didn’t have time to work out the kinks against elite competition (not to mention losing Freechild this year could have had something to do with it).

I still like them as coming in under the radar in 2017. Can’t wait to see how it unfolds, especially those live-streamed games on here!