Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

Great Lakes Open: Jones, Klein, McMahon Trio Knotted At 17-Under

Originally published at: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2021/07/25/great-lakes-open-jones-klein-mcmahon-trio-knotted-at-17-under/

Kevin Jones at the 2021 Great Lakes Open. Photo: DGPT

With a whole host of players still in the running at the Great Lakes Open, moving day at Toboggan was as important as ever.

• Kevin Jones and Kyle Klein were two of 10 players in 11th place heading into Saturday. Matching 11-under par hot rounds have the two in a tie for first with Eagle McMahon at 17-under par total. Jones did a lot of work early, going 8-down on the front 9 with three consecutive Circle 2 makes to start the round, followed by six consecutive C1X makes to finish the front half of the course. Klein had the best back 9 of the day with six birdies to zero bogeys. He was 100% from C1X.
  • McMahon only moved up two spots on the leaderboard into the tie for first, and a lone bogey on hole 6 kept him from solo first, as well as hitting double-digits under par. The defending DGLO champ is fifth or better in strokes gained from tee-to-green, finding C1 and C2 in regulation, and C1X putting.
  • Day one leaders Emerson Keith and James Conrad dropped to fifth and eighth, respectively, at 15- and 13-under par total. Conrad went cold, netting zero birdies over the final seven holes, and Keith offset a slick forehand throw-in on hole 12 with two bogeys.
  • Adam Hammes is in solo fourth at 16-under par, right on the leaders’ heels. He’s hit at least two C2 putts per round, despite his C1X rate being a little lower than his normal standards.

Statline

The redesigned par 4 hole 15 continues to be the toughest to par on the course. Overall birdies did go up to five on more than 120 playthroughs Saturday, better than the three on Friday. Corey Ellis, tied for 5th at 15-under par, has gotten the birdie both rounds by parking his approach shot.

Heard

“Immediately out of the gate I was firing. It was one of those days where I was in the car and I felt really lucky to be out here competing. Kinda felt like nothing could go wrong. Not sure if that’s the right mentality, but I hope I have similar feelings tomorrow.” – Kevin Jones