Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

Green Mountain Championship: Pierce Sets Course Record

Originally published at: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2020/09/05/green-mountain-championship-pierce-sets-course-record/

Photo: Alyssa Van Lanen – DGPT

The move to Fox Run Meadows at the Green Mountain Championship yielded expected results by shaking up the top 10s with the change of scenery.

• Setting a course record for the current Open Women’s layout on Fox Run, Paige Pierce used her driver to post a 6-under par round to move into a tie for first place at 6-under par total. Pierce’s 61% Circle 1 in regulation rate was 17 percentage points higher than the next closest player, and helped offset several missed putts inside the circle, including three two-putts over the final four holes.
  • Posting a 3-under par round and tying Pierce for the lead was Hailey King. King was already under par and securely in second place before running a dangerous putt from the high side of the green on the elevated basket of hole 17. The 67-foot birdie fed into another birdie on hole 18 to close out the round. She is second in the division in C1X putting, second in C1 in regulation, and tied with Pierce for most holes under par, 33%.
  • Sarah Hokom’s putter let her down, yet she remains in third place, five strokes behind the leaders at 1-under par total. Six two-putts will hang over Hokom as she moves back to Brewster Ridge, where she did not miss any of her chances inside 33 feet on Thursday.
  • Jessica Weese looked out for blood Friday when she opened her day with four straight birdies. Two late double-bogeys on holes 16 and 18 pushed her below Hokom, however, and into a tie for fourth with Catrina Allen at 1-over par total. Allen gets the lead card nod for the third round.

Heard

“I was just going out to have fun. I’ve played here quite a few rounds now and it feels kinda like home to me. I’ve had so many great memories on this course and it just felt very fun today.” – Paige Pierce

Statline

Pierce’s eagle on the 470-foot hole 4 is the first eagle ever recorded during an Elite Series event at Smugglers’ Notch — Fox Run Meadows or Brewster Ridge — by the Open Women’s field.

The lead card of Pierce, King, Hokom, and Allen tees off at 3 pm EST.