Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

It Was Rainy At Am Worlds

Originally published at: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/livewire/it-was-rainy-at-am-worlds/

The marathon PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championship kicked off Tuesday in Charlotte, North Carolina and just like at the Idlewild Open, players were competing with more than just the course.

The skies opened up during the 9:00 a.m. rounds before letting the sun peak out for a couple hours. Unfortunately, by then, many players had already slogged through a crushing nine or so holes.

Look at what Itzy Galvan was dealing with on the Sugaw Creek Park course.

First Round of AM Worlds is done. Not the weather I was expecting, but I finished! – Learned some new things about my game in the rain..😅 Today was the “Warm Up” round! Got at least 5 more rounds! #teaminnova #discgolf4women #2018amworlds

A post shared by Itzy M. Galvan (Castorena) (@itzy_melissa) on Jul 24, 2018 at 10:11am PDT

Christine Jennings is also playing in the Advanced Women’s division with Galvan and shared some of her round stories.

Christine Jennings Am Worlds Rain

The Charlotte area had flash flood warnings in effect Tuesday, and thunderstorms are in the forecast for Wednesday. The rest of the week will only be hot and humid, providing zero weather-related relief.

After one round, former Junior World Champion Valarie Mandujano is tied for the Advanced Women’s lead at 6-over par 60 with Sammie Jo Guerrero and Allison Haggett. Alexis Mandujano, Valarie’s sister and former Junior World Champion in her own right, is one of four women tied in 4th at 7-over par 61. Jennings is tied for 19th at 11-over par 65 and Galvan is tied for 15th at 10-over par 64.

Pools A and B in the Advanced Men’s division are playing two rounds Tuesday on the Kilborne Park and Bradford Park courses.