Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

McMahon On Disc Golf’s Move To Ball Golf Courses: ‘It’s Not Fun’

Originally published at: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/livewire/mcmahon-disc-golfs-move-ball-golf-courses-not-fun/

You would think that, with a cannon for an arm and youth on his side, Eagle McMahon would appreciate the recent spate of disc golf tournaments being played on traditional golf courses.

Think again.

The 18-year-old pro expressed some strong feelings about the sport’s current trend on a video he released after the St. Jude Disc Golf Charity Invitational, which took place on the famed Bayonet Golf Course in Seaside, California. In what he jokingly referred to as his “little rant,” McMahon lamented that recent layouts have not allowed disc golfers to test all of their skills.

“These courses, it’s ball golf courses every time now, and I don’t know if I’m the biggest fan of it,” McMahon said. “It’s crush after crush after crush, and honestly I’d much rather have a course where there’s a lot of variety.”

While McMahon’s comments were inspired by last weekend’s charity event, the Professional Disc Golf Association National Tour has seen three of its four tournaments this season – the “Steady” Ed Memorial Masters Cup, the Glass Blown Open, and the Memorial Championships – incorporate ball golf courses in some form.

“I love throwing through the trees, and out here there’s one hole that you actually have to think about maneuvering around something,” McMahon said. “Everything is just overstable shot after overstable shot. I hope disc golf doesn’t go in that direction, because it’s not fun. I want to maneuver my discs.”

Check out McMahon’s entire video entry, which includes various tour hijinks with touring partner Eric Oakley, below. His comments begin around the 10-minute mark.

Eagle McMahon’s St. Jude Vlog