Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

Q&A: Cory Murrell, a.k.a. Johnny Disc Golf

Originally published at: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2019/02/02/qa-cory-murrell-k-johnny-disc-golf/

Cory Murrell Johnny Disc Golf Media Announcement

Cory Murrell was introduced to the world as Johnny Disc Golf, and his legend has somehow only grown since.

First helping out with camera and editing work on Central Coast Disc Golf projects, Murrell’s knowledge of the game and commentary skills helped propel him into one of the sport’s premier media personalities. By 2018 he was on the road full-time and as much a part of the tour as many players.

But 2019 brings another new stage of Murrell’s career. He announced in February that he would be launching his own YouTube channel to focus on player-based content and stories. Ultiworld Disc Golf caught up with Murrell before he headed out on the new journey.

Ultiworld Disc Golf: Give us the elevator pitch – what do we expect from you in 2019?
Cory Murrell: A full-time, touring, disc golf journalist. We have so many people able and willing to produce round coverage, but there really isn’t anyone giving the players a platform to speak on their offseason, the events, trending storylines, and everything in between. That’s where I come in.
UWDG: Who do you think the audience is for what you’ll be creating?
CM: Any passionate disc golf fan. I play a lot of casual rounds at Golden Gate Park and while throwing with a Masters-aged player we got to talking about how he’s been playing for over two decades but never had a favorite disc golfer until this past season. Now he LOVES Eagle McMahon and James Conrad. I think there are lots of people who just haven’t been introduced to their favorite player yet, and I’d like to be the one to break the ice.
UWDG: Why break off from Central Coast?
CM: This one is honestly the hardest for me. I think it’s important to remember that CCDG was here for five years before I started getting heavily involved. Ian Anderson literally filmed Masters Cup before I ever started disc golfing…let that sink in. So when the Disc Golf Pro Tour announced they would bring all media in-house and I wasn’t going to be on the media plan for 2019 I felt like this was a natural time to pivot.
UWDG: Will you still be doing any work with other film crews for round coverage?
CM: Yes! The PDGA has been awesome in working with me to find a way to make it viable to be on tour full time. We have partnered to create round recaps for every round of all six Nation Tours as well as Pro Worlds, USDGC, and USWDGC, both MPO and FPO. With that serving as a skeleton for the tour, I’ll be free to create my own content, albeit a little lighter from those nine events.
On top of that, I’m still not totally parted ways with CCDG. I’ll be doing a few guest appearances on round coverage at events like Pro Masters Worlds. My cousin is getting married in Vermont the weekend after so it just works out too perfectly.
UWDG: Are you still going to be on the road all year following the tour?
CM: For the most part, yes. I’ll be doing a shorter leg to start, going to Wintertime Open through Waco Annual Charity Open, but coming back home to California until picking back up with the tour at San Francisco Open through the bitter end at the DGPT Championship. I’ll be at Glass Blown Open as well, but with all the off weeks surrounding Jonesboro Open, it makes for an easy skip.
UWDG: What are you most excited about capturing?
CM: Honestly, there isn’t one thing I’m most excited about capturing, but more that I’m excited to produce new types of content. For years tee signs were the best hole previews round coverage had to offer. Then drones took their place as the standard. Two camera coverage was once seen as revolutionary but now a three man team with a slow-mo reaction cam has become commonplace. I’m happy to pass the round coverage torch to others so I can focus on building a new standard of disc golf coverage.