Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

Tim Selinske U.S. Masters: Jennifer Allen's Playoff Throw-In Steals Show

Originally published at: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2021/09/13/tim-selinske-u-s-masters-jennifer-allens-playoff-throw-in-steals-show/

US Masters

On a weekend where 22 champions were crowned at the Tim Selinske U.S. Masters Championships across professional and amateur divisions, it was Jennifer Allen’s playoff throw-in that was the highlight of several close finishes.

In Pro Masters Women 40+, Des Reading’s birdie on hole 18 saw her pass the leader coming into the day, Ohn Scoggins who bogeyed hole 18, and tie Allen in the lead. The bogey from 2021 Pro Masters Worlds winner Scoggins had her finish in third at 25-under par as Reading and Allen went to a sudden death playoff on the Harmony Bends course tied at 26-under par total.

On the first hole of the playoff, the par 5 hole 1, Reading had already seen success. In round 1, Reading nearly had a throw-in from below the green. In the final round, she did throw it in. In the playoff, however, it would be Allen to hit the 150-foot throw-in from the same area behind the water hazard for a walk-off win, her first career PDGA Major.

Jen Allen

“I was just trying to stay safe, first of all. Tried to stay in bounds and not give her a stroke easy,” said Allen. “She is the most accurate upshot player in the game. Wasn’t really trying to make it but it was nice to go in and I didn’t have to putt.”

Brad Schick won his first Major as well in Pro Masters 40+ by outlasting Dave Feldberg and Geoff Bennett by one stroke to finish at 30-under par total. He shot the lowest final round of the three players, and hit a clutch edge of circle par putt on hole 18 to secure the W after Feldberg, whom he was tied with in first going into the last hole, settled for a bogey.

Schick Putt

“I knew coming down at the end it was going to come down to 17, 18; that’s just how this course plays,” said Schick. “I like my chances with a good side arm and got off the tee clean. Dave had an unfortunate kick OB. Kinda put me in position but I did not make it easy on myself.”

Patrick Brown won his third U.S. Masters title and fourth Major by taking down Pro Masters 50+, and Barrett White captured her ninth Major in Pro Masters Women 50+.

Missouri’s Doug Williams outlasted the Pro Masters 55+ field for his first Major. Peggy Barry was uncontested in Pro Masters Women 55+ but still earns her second U.S. Masters title and third Major. Eric Rainey and Gregg Hosfeld were tied all three days in Pro Masters 60+ leading into the finals before Rainey finally got the separation for the win, his third U.S. Masters trophy.

Donna Griest (Pro Masters Women 60+), Randy Beers (Pro Masters 65+), Laurie Cloyes-Chupa (Pro Masters Women 65+), Dr. Rick Voakes (Pro Masters 70+), and Pete May (Pro Masters 75+) round out the pro winners.