Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

Weekend Rewind: Hokom Impressive At La Nina, Carlsson Wins In Sweden

Originally published at: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2019/06/04/weekend-rewind-hokom-impressive-la-nina-carlsson-wins-sweden/

Photos: Alyssa Van Lanen/Swedish Open

Sarah Hokom headlined the women’s only La Nina Open in Union Gap, Washington where over 50% of the FPO field was rated 900 or better.

“My focus is more about attending women’s events than prepping for Beaver State Fling,” Hokom said of the off-week tournament. “They are so much different than mixed events. Women aren’t just a sideshow, we are the main attraction. I met so many amazing women and I think that really impacts the future of women’s disc golf.

“The will be an all women’s tour in the near future, so I like to scout events like this to see if they could be a possible addition.”

The extra focus paid off for Hokom, who shot two rounds rated over 1000, including a 1039-rated second. She needed every bit of those scores, as Missy Gannon also shot two 1000+ rated rounds, but finished second behind Hokom by two strokes.

“The course was only about 5,500 feet,” Hokom said. “I could throw power shots — high percentage — on most holes, so I was able to get a lot of birdies.”

Callie McMorran, Hailey King, and Sai Ananda rounded out the top five. Jodi Dixon won the Masters division.

Protecting his home course in Brämhult, Sweden was Linus Carlsson, who won the 2019 Swedish Open by seven strokes.

Carlsson’s second victory of 2019 was the second A-tier win of his career, and first since 2017. He averaged more than 10 points over his rating across three rounds, and separated from the field with a 1045-rated 50, the lowest score of the tournament, in round two. Eleven other 1000+ rated players were in the MPO division, including Avery Jenkins.

“When the weather got a bit rough in the second round I only had to focus on keeping my stuff dry and compose myself because I already know what to do on every tee shot,” Carlsson told Ultiworld Disc Golf. “I knew that most of the players were going to struggle in the wind and the rain that we had, so I saw my chance to grab some strokes. I also felt that my putting game was strong which is always important.”

Sofie Björlycke used two hot rounds to win the FPO title at the Ymergårdens Discgolfcenter by five strokes. She is undefeated in Open Women’s events this season, going 5-for-5.

“My throwing was almost perfect, but I still have huge putting problems,” Björlycke said afterward.

Another player protected their turf, but stateside. Chris Dickerson won his third consecutive Tennessee Disc Golf State Championship, shooting above his rating three of four rounds.

“It’s playing a home game instead of traveling somewhere to play an away game,” said Dickerson. “I get to see people that I know before, during, and after the tournament. Not just players, people from the town that come out to watch, parks and rec members, basically most of Morristown.

“It’s one of the only tournaments for me that has that small town feeling.”

Dickerson used the good vibes to build out his lead in the third and fourth rounds, pulling away from eventual second place finisher Joey Lutz to win by 16 strokes. JohnE McCray finished third in the 51 player MPO field that included 11 1000+ rated pros.

Elaine King overcame a tight battle with Heather Young to win FPO. She also won the event in 2017. Ellen Widboom was three strokes behind the leaders in third.

Loosies