Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All Region 2016: North Central (D-I Men's)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007ff40f0f4bb8>

Who are the best players in the North Central region? This is an open thread to discuss All-Region nominations, All-Freshman nominations, coaching awards, and more. Stay positive and keep it civil.

In no particular order, here’s who I’d have on my ballot:
###First Team
Ben Jagt- Minnesota (POTY)
Ryan Osgar- Minnesota
Soham Shah- Minnesota
Avery Johnson- Wisconsin
Ross Barker- Wisconsin
Justin Lim- Carleton
Henry Fisher- Carleton
###Second Team
Tristan Van de Moortele- Minnesota
Wyatt Meckler- Minnesota
Sam Bumstead- Minnesota
Sterling Knoche- Wisconsin
Craig Cox- Wisconsin
Sol Yanuck- Carleton
Alex Olsen- Carleton
###All-Freshman
Cole Wallin- Minnesota (FOTY)
Sam Kaminsky- Minnesota
Alex Jirele- Minnesota
Tom Duret- Minnesota
?
?
?

###COTY
Tallis Boyd- Minnesota

Apologies to the other teams of the NC, but I’m not nearly as familiar with teams that aren’t Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Carleton. Those three have proven themselves to be a cut above, but I think there are probably others deserving recognition (Manitoba’s best players, anyone?). Help me out- who dominated this season that wasn’t on the top three teams?

Can speak for my own team and get some names out there that can get overlooked by the powerhouses in the Region.

Evan Swiatek - Handler - Marquette

Evan has been a key component of Marquette’s Men’s team and a main handler and a second year captain. He has a full arsenal of throws, from the entire gambit of righty throws including a tricky IO and dirty high release flick break, and lefty throws that rival our main lefty throwers. He never is afraid to let his body hit the floor for rediculious D’s and scores. He keeps spirit at the front of his game, discussing calls calmly and calming others down during a tight foul call.
The most important part of his play is his mental game. His ability to recognize the playing styles of other players and teams and within a point adjust the team’s offensive and defensive outlook has been winning games left and right. He is one of the smartest Ultimate players I’ve ever played with, in college or club. You’ll also see him leading Milwaukee’s MKE team last year and this year.

1 Like

Can speak for my own team and get some names out there that can get overlooked by the powerhouses in the Region.

Joe Lindsay - Cutter - Marquette

Joe has been a strong member of Marquette for the past few years, dominating in the air on defense and on offense. For our team, having a mad dog play maker gets the team pumped in close games and shows a love for the game of Ultimate that is unmatched is crucial to teaching ultimate to the newer players. You’ll see him making D’s and hucks with a smile on his face always.
If he was to play on a top level team such as CUT/Wisco/Minn, you’d see him as a top D-line cutter. Marquette has pushed him to mark the most dangerous cutter on opposing teams, shutting them down and never giving them the opportunity to get the disc. He speaks on the field through his actions, and shows up each and every day ready to work. As a previous captain, he has set Marquette in a great path which is reaping the benefits this year.

1 Like

They may not quite be on the same level as a few of the MN or Wisco guys yet, but even as sophomores Marty Adams (2015 NC Freshman of the Year) and Tyler Thomegreene have been able to take over games on offense when needed for Duluth, both are strong in the air when going deep and can make you pay with their throws when you give them an under. Even if they aren’t in the front runner discussion this year, keep an eye on them in the next few years.

First Team
Marty Adams- University of Minnesota- Duluth
Ryan Osgar - Minnesota
Ben Jagt- Minnesota
Nick Vogt- Wisconsin
Justin Lim- Carleton
Sef Van Kan- Carleton
Nick Ladas- Wisconsin

Marty Adams is a somewhat unknown player outside of the region, but he is the most consistent and dominating player I’ve ever seen / played with. Going plus 29 against the Northwoods section (Manitoba, Carleton, Minnesota, Mankato), carrying his team with solid captaining, and actively fulfilling to The Spirit of the Game whenever he’s on the line is impressive for a sophomore . Ask any elite player in Minnesota what they think about Marty party, you’ll soon hear he’s probably one of the best cutters in college right now.
Check out his highlight video from last year here (in case you think I’m overstepping) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxbA_Myoefo

Ben Jagt is Ben Jagt. There’s no arguing that his height and awareness make him an impossible matchup. Plus he can toss a disc, sometimes.

Ryan Osgar hits open people, wherever they are. Break side, same third deep, whatever, he’ll do it (well) without turning it over.

I haven’t seen Nick Vogt or Nick Ladas play this year, but I can assume they are both still solid, consistent cutters for Wisconsin (I can’t just submit 3 players, right?)

Sef & Lim are both intelligent in their craft. Lim can break anyone, Sef can outrun anyone. Carleton boys deserve a spot for sure. Jesse Bolton almost made my list, but he tossed some pretty sketchy throws this part weekend, and I mostly want to offend him (Hi Jesse!)

FOTY:
Cole Wallin and Tom Duret - Minnesota
Noah White - University of Minnesota - Duluth

1 Like

Being that we haven’t played much against other NC teams yet this year, I wanted to submit two players I think are absolutely deserving of the All-Freshman team from Iowa State, both anchoring our starting O-Line as first year cutters.

Peter Miller #33: Huge pulls, skies, and bids. Also, incredibly conservative with the disc. Peter has had experience playing with members of Chad Larson Experience since he was still going through high school (younger brother of Becca Miller from Molly Brown) and it shows in his game - it helps that he was a U19 tryout participant too.

Ben Joerger #23: He did not attend the Conference Championships and we really missed him. He is one of our biggest deep threats as a freshman, which is saying something because he’s not freakishly tall or fast. However, he has serious ups and is always willing to go horizontal (more often than not coming up with it). Completing the trend, he is very stingy with the disc and usually leads the team in plus/minus.

If you get a chance, watch these two at regionals because they’re seriously good players.

I would also add Iowa’s freshmen Tyler Barrett and Aiden Frank as potential all Freshmen.

1st team

Aaron Speiss - Wisconsin
Chris Wilen - Wisconsin
Craig Cox - Wisconsin
Ben Jagt - Minnesota
Soham Shah - Minnesota
Sol Yanuck - Carleton
Justin Lim - Carleton

2nd team

Avery Johnson - Wisconsin
Ross Barker - Wisconsin
Sterling Knoche - Wisconsin
Eric Taylor - Carleton
Jessie Bolton - Carleton
Logan Pruess - Milwaukee
Ryan Osgar - Minnesota

Yes, I am from Wisconsin (shocker); however, the Hodags have been overlooked far too much in recent years and deserve recognition for the work we have put in. With only 1 player getting the nod for All-Region last year (2nd team at that), it is time for the Hodags to be put back in the spotlight as we are the #2 ranked team in the country. Also, there are far too many ridiculously good players on Wisconsin/Minnesota/Carleton for another team to have any claim to All-Region besides Milwaukee’s Logan Pruess.

1 Like

As a happy watcher of Ultiworld game footage, and player in the West Plains region. There are some clearly amazing players in the region, some known and some unknown. Here we go: (in alphabetical order)

First team:
Aaron Speiss - Wisconsin
Ben Jagt - Minnesota
Jessie Bolton - Carleton
Justin Lim - Carleton
Marty Adams - Duluth
Ryan Osgar - Minnesota (POTY)
Tristan Van Du Moortelle - Minnesota

Second Team:
Jimmy Hean - Iowa
Logan Pruess - Milwaukee
Sam Berglund - Luther
Sam Bumstead - Minnesota
Tony Polletto - Minnesota
Will Hean - Iowa

5 Minnesota guys, easy choices. All ballers honestly. Ryan Osgar should be up for POTY over Jagt though.

Carleton duo, both fantastic players and sockeye stars. Another set of easy choices based on talent.

Wisconsin, these are the only two truly dominant players on such a dominant team. It’s hard to put too many Hodags on this list since they have so much talent, it’s tough to see the stars (a good problem to have to be honest).

2 Iowa Brothers, I’m sure people will be surprised by these two. But having two 6 ft 5 athletic cutters who can smartly play aggressive defense, huck and break the mark is terrifying to match up against. Good luck to whoever guards them.

Individual schools.
Now that the 4 top schools have been discussed, there are individuals left in the region who deserve this.
Luther’s Sam Berglund is the individual player on the team that will throw the most assists. Dynamic player who can play intense D as well as shoot it 70 yards into a 25 mph crosswind.
Duluth’s Marty Adams is quiet frankly unstoppable. He will get the disc. He will make someone open. And he will make an offensive players day incredibly hard. Quite an amazing overall player, despite his size.
Milwaukees Logan Pruess is incredibly under talked about, especially since he played with Kevin Brown. One of the quickest players in the region, he is a hassle for any teams best handler defenders.

2 Likes

First Team All Region -

Ryan Osgar - Minnesota
Ben Jagt - Minnesota
Sef Van Kan - Carleton
Justin Lim - Carleton
Marty Adams - Minnesota-Duluth
Craig Cox - Wisconsin

Second Team All Region -

Jimmy Hean - Iowa
Michael Wormley - Iowa
Sol Yanuck - Carleton
Jesse Bolton - Carleton
Henry Mosher - Carleton
Logan Pruess - UW Milwaukee
Sam Berglund - Luther

FOTY

Tyler Barrett (Iowa) - rock solid O-line handler from his first IHUC practice

Reno Brinn (Iowa) - possibly the best defender in the conference, gets about 4 layout D’s per game. Invited to Worlds tryouts this past fall

Aiden Frank (Iowa) - another rookie Iowa handler, has the biggest throws of any rookie we’ve seen this year

Peter Miller (Iowa State) - Previously mentioned, great all around player. See Boyle’s post

Peter Murry (Luther) - Lockdown starting D line handler. a gamechanger on defense and a consistent thrower

Haven’t played the Minnesota freshmen, but I’ve heard they’re great

2 Likes

As a former Hodag who then went to grad school elsewhere and played that fifth year as the do-everything player and dragged a bad team to Regionals, I have a lot of respect for the guys who play at the non blue-blood programs and the challenges that come with having a team that lacks the talent/team commitment I had when I played for Wisconsin.

These awards are for standout individuals. You take away Craig Cox from Wisconsin…and they’re still Wisconsin. When you have so much above-average talent on the team and you are just a cog in the machine, it’s really easy to look really good (thus creating some of the most overrated players of all time). Your weaknesses aren’t exposed and the coaching staff deserves a ton of credit. It’s a total team effort. To see a true level of talent, I take a look at what people do at the club level. What has Craig Cox done at the Club level? Warm the bench for a self admittedly really garbage Madison Club team in 2014 and on a larger scale, you would think Madison Club would be one of the best Club teams in the country with all that elite college talent in the area, but that’s just not the case. When matched up with other high level talent, those “elite” college players are really exposed at the next level in Club.

Those stars on lesser programs should not be excluded.

You take away Logan away from Milwaukee…it’s not so pretty. No points off, draw the best player on defense and you are the sole force driving the offense being guarded by fresh legs whose sole goal is to try and wear you out. Team USA player, one of the best players on Madison Club who draws top match ups. Just a fantastic player. He deserves 1st Team after being robbed last year of any awards.

Craig stop pining for votes, it looks pathetic and it’s not the Hodag way.

7 Likes

Just for clarification, this ain’t me. Curious to see who this is.

9 Likes

First Team
Logan Pruess of UW-Milwaukee (bias because I’m his teammate)

He is a perfect example of the best teammate you could ever have. Always positive within the team, speaks only when he needs too. Never needs to be reminded to play hard, work hard, do the right things. He is a shut down defender on whoever he’s guarding. Without Logan, It would be hard to say where Blackcat would be right now. Like stated in a previous post, take away logan from Blackcat, there is a huge difference between great players taken away from Wisconsin or Minnesota, they will still be great teams with or without them. Two time gold medalist on u23, Pestering d-line handler for madclub. Can’t think of anyone more deserving than this guy.

1 Like

Freshmen of the year.

Will Casperson UW-Milwaukee
If you have never heard of him or do not know who he is, watch the Uw-Milwaukee film vs UMASS. They’re the #1 team in the country and this kid scores 4-5 goals and can’t stop getting open on them. Even burns Babbit deep,(just missed the layout by a centimeter). Very quick and smart cutter, knows his role, makes smart throws, never drops the disc. Plays great defense, always throwing his body around. This kid is more than deserving to be put in this list. I believe he can get open on just about anyone.

1 Like

Doesn’t get more consistent than joe, off the field hes a class act guy.

2 Likes

Logan Pruess deserves first team (no bias because i’m not his teammate)

Carleton has severely under-performed this year similar to Minnesota last year, but at least Carleton earned the bid. Voting for anyone except Justin Lim at first team would be disappointing in my opinion. Carleton has a ton of talent dont get me wrong, but performance this year has been lackluster. Eric Taylor, Sol Yanuck, Sef Van Kan, and Jesse Bolton are great players, but we should see their performance at regionals before adding them on the list.

Marty Adams is good and watching him play is pretty exciting. Without him, Duluth would probably be a lot worse. That being said, you put him on a top team’s o-line and he would at best be 3rd or 4th cutter. He’s a great player no doubt, but I think there are a lot of guys who are better overall than he is.

For Wisco, does Avery Johnson get less love than Craig Cox? Maybe cutters are just cooler who knows? I know that Sterling Knoche and Aaron Speiss are real time ballers and definitely deserve first or second team. I’m sure there are more guys on Wisco, but ya’ll are hard to differentiate. Speiss has a sweet beard; do more of that.

Iowa State…the only player that really stuck out is that little asian kid. Probably not all-region, but I’ll give him a quick shout out. Why not?

Minnesota, like Wisco, has a bunch of names. Ryan Osgar and Ben Jagt are a deadly duo. Soham Shah and Sam Bumsted are ballers on d. Again like Wisco, Minnesota has a lot of high end talent, and these are the easily differentiated guys.

Sam Berguland is another case where the team is a lot worse without him. First team? Probably not. Second team? Debatable. Same deal with Ian AK. I’m surprised his name didn’t show up.

2 Likes

I’m Wisconsin´s coach, I’ve been with and around the team for the last 17 years, and I have serious doubts that MadisonSpade is representing himself honestly. I also think his argument is hogwash, and I back Craig completely.

I was also the coach on U23 who argued for Logan’s inclusion on the national team - he’s a smart player who was able to play a role well when surrounded by all-stars, and he made every play that came to him, both at tryouts and at U23s. I love Logan. But at sectionals this past weekend, I didn’t see that Logan. He seemed bored or disinterested.

MadisonSpade is right about this: take Craig, or any one of those other Wisco players he mentioned - away from Wisconsin, and we’re still Wisconsin, and still ranked at the top of the nation; take away Logan or another star on those mid-tier team and their ranking tanks from 60th-ish to the 120s. Sure.

Flip his argument though: put Craig on any of those teams and he’s the most indispensable player on their roster. Same with Sterling, or Avery, or Speiss, and damn-near half the roster. And then we’d have people like MadisonSpade tripping over themselves here to be the first to sing his praises and hold his jock about how he’d absolutely transform the Hodags if only given the chance. And each of of those players has earned their chance, and they have transformed the Hodags. That we can succeed without any one of them says a lot about the quality of their teammates without taking anything away from the importance of their contributions.

I’d love to take credit for Wisco’s success, and pretend like MadisonSpade does that we’re just a team of decent-but-over-hyped players that are really well-coached and play on an elite team as cogs on the machine. But that’s not accurate in the least. We’re a machine whose cogs would be the engine on any of these other teams.

We have seven rookies who played 7 straight points in finals of conference and went on a 6-0 run. We have two sophomores who start on our O-line, and who have scored on and D’d the best of college this year. And we have at least eight of the best fourteen players in the region. The Hodags play team disc and our wins are a collective effort, but this faceless army talk has become a lazy, tiresome trope. If after years of elite play y’all still can’t tell our players apart, it’s because you’re so blinded by the wealth of talent that you’re unable to differentiate it.

MadisonSpade, go back to that fantasy where you played on the Hodags before imparting your talents elsewhere. If you’d actually played in the baby blue, you’d have never written that post - you’d know that’s not the Hodag way.

4 Likes

Just because I have the audacity to post my opinion as my real self and not anonymously doesn’t make what I say any less true. If I were to post as “UltimateLover25” would you be saying this stuff? I truly feel that the Wisconsin guys I listed deserve their spots, and honestly there should probably be more on there than just those 6. What does Club play have anything to do with College All-Region talk anyway? You say I look pathetic and talk of the Hodag way as you sit in your ivory tower anonymously ripping on guys from the very program you claim to be an alum…

3 Likes

1st team

Ryan Osgar - Minnesota (POTY)
Craig Cox - Wisconsin
Ben Jagt - Minnesota
Soham Shah - Minnesota
Aaron Speiss - Wisconsin
Justin Lim - Carleton

2nd team

Sol Yanuck - Carleton
Collin Fry- Iowa State
Jimmy Hean - Iowa
Michael Wormley - Iowa
Jessie Bolton - Carleton
Will Hean - Iowa
Logan Pruess - Milwaukee

As a player in the North Central region it is clear to have a lot of respect for the powerhouses in our region. Minnesota and Wisconsin currently dominate not only our region, but on a national level. This is by no mistake.

Craig Cox, Avery Johnson, and Aaron Speiss all get the first team nod for the Hodags. Truly dominant players. For Minnesota, their first team guys like Ryan Osgar, Ben Jagt, and Soham Shah deserve to be gilded with that honor. Carleton’s Justin Lim is the only other player in the region who deserves first team.

As for second team there are many other players in the region who make a huge difference on their teams.

Sol and Jesse are standout players for Carleton who represent some of the top talent in our region. They are difference makers for their team with a combination of hard work and talent that has carried their young team to earn a bid to nationals. Logan Pruess. Enough said. This guy’s got defense, an arsenal of throws, and an intensity that has led his mediocre teammates to compete on a slightly higher level. The upmost respect to this guy. A few Iowa guys on this list for good reason. First off, Michael Wormley. Best thrower in the region by a mile. This huge handler is a tough matchup. The brothers Jimmy Hean and Will Hean are two 6’5" cutters who are near unstoppable no matter what side of the disc they’re on, especially when they step up on the same line. Collin Fry gets the final nod for second team. Pretty dominant thrower for his team and steps up when his team needs him.

Happy to see Michael “Worm” Wormley mentioned here. Worm is a good handler, but is a phenomenal thrower, and is likely the best thrower in the region with his off hand. Learning from him about throwing has changed my game, and he recently told me that he has thrown every single day for 1150 days in a row, missing only two, which I would imagine is probably a record. He has a full arsenal of throws and breaks at will. Iowa isn’t as good deep this year, but last year I think it was clear that he was the biggest thrower in the region as a sophomore. Definite all-region pick in my mind.

1 Like