Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All-Region 2019: Metro East (D-III Men's)

Thomas Mariano on University of Rochester is easily the best player on the Piggies this year. He’s been an amazing player as well as a great leader on our team, passing on the skills and wisdom he’s acquired over the last 4 years of college and club ultimate onto the rest of us. He’s got great game IQ and is incredibly agile, always laying out. He deserves to make All-Region - I’m sure anybody who has played against our team can agree.

Don’t know what kind of awards are up for coaching but regardless shout-out to our coach Kyle this year for filling the void left by the large graduating class we lost last year. We had a lot of young guys this year and Kyle’s attention and commitment helped us grow from a group of mildly-talented players and Tom to a very cohesive team with a much deeper roster than previous years. We’re gonna miss him next year.

I don’t know anybody names, sorry, but #33 on Cortland was nasty. So was #4 on Hamilton.

Haven’t played Marist or anybody yet but could certainly agree with the claim of Play-doh as the best player in the region. It’s really cool watching him play, because he’s always so composed and dynamic on the field.

But yeah shout-out Tom and Plato.

3 Likes

TJ Stanton and Kyle Dew from Stevens Tech are easily 2 of the best players in the region and deserve recognition.

Source: https://theaudl.com/empire/players

2 Likes

Hey everyone, this is Dylan from Skidmore. I wanted to shout out some players that I’ve matched up against a lot for what feels like forever, and have had the pleasure of competing against this year.

Ithaca: Polcari (23) is a monster on the field. A very talented passer with a really deep throwing arsenal. He anchors their offense, and is a strong defender as well. Lots of respect for his high usage rate, because he’s always impacting play on both ends while being on for like 90% of the points in a tournament. Always a very competitive and intense 1-on-1 matchup.

Vassar: Ilan has been an absolute boss in the region for years. I remember him being supremely talented as a freshman, and his play has never ceased to be really high quality. A great competitor, and one of the most spirited players I’ve ever met. Def one of my favorite matchups.

Hartford: Logan (23) is another player I’ve matched up against across multiple years and tournaments. He had an incredible showing in our game against them at sectionals this weekend. He’s a terrific athlete, thrower, and defender. He played just about every point, and was killing it from start to finish in one of the most intense games I’ve ever played in. Probably the single-game matchup that I will remember the most from my college playing career.

RPI: we see these nerds so much that they practically feel like our teammates. The energy and atmosphere during our games-both on field and on the sidelines-is always awesome. They’re a fun, talented, spirited, and extremely well organized machine, but there are a few players that stand out from our games.
Bryce (03) runs me into the fucking dirt. A threat in both cutting and handler space, he’s a big contributor on both sides of the disc, and an incredibly consistent thrower.
Devin (13)-the only player I’ve shouted out that I don’t actually cover, cuz his matchup belongs to my captain maz. These two guys go at it back and forth all game long, and they really bring out the best in each other. He’s a tremendous thrower with great field vision, and always competes at a crazy high level.

Last but not least I’d like to shout out my fellow seniors on Skidmore’s team. They’re incredible teammates and are tremendous individual players in their own rights. Pasta (17, aka John) is one of the fastest kids in the whole region. One of the most consistent cutters I’ve seen, and is a standout defender as well. Maz (12) throws the disc better than just about anyone I’ve ever seen. He’s been deemed the destroyer of all cups, including those in 20mph crosswinds, with his crispy throws and incredible field vision. Both of them played at the highest level this year. Lund (7) was injured pretty much his entire senior season, but would’ve cooked the whole region if he were healthy.

Hats off to all the guys I mentioned. Y’all are elite, and absolutely worthy of being all-region players. Most if not all are seniors, and should be celebrated for their play and the impact they’ve on their teams.

Can confirm they are pretty dope.

Source: https://theaudl.com/empire/coach

4 Likes

Hey y’all, Rochester Piggy here. Little late to the game but want to shout out some standouts from our Sectionals weekend.

#29 Cardinal from Oneonta was a beast, a dangerous cutter with a lot of hussle and playmaking ability

#4 from Hamilton is a fantastic all around player who also had an absolutely disgusting sky against us

#11 Prato from Geneseo does so much work for their O-line, composed throws, always open for a reset, and has the ability to pretty much quarterback all the way down the field.

Finally, to rep one of our own, Tom #5 is really the heart of our team this year. Teams that played against us may know him as the guy with the big stache and even bigger layouts. The dude does it all on both sides of the disc and is crafty as fuck. He leaves it all on the field every game and is definitely an all-region caliber player.

3 Likes

You seem like the type of guy who would skip senior year spring break so idk if we can trust your opinion.

2 Likes

I dont think you take d-III college frisbee serious enough

Logan from Hartford here few shoutouts for the boys in the metro least,
Stevens: TJ is an all around stud handler with the athleticism to burn you deep and sky you but the patience to use crafty throws to work a defense with hundreds of give and go passes up the field. also low-key one of the most entertaining players to watch.

Hamilton: number 4 (eric I think) is an all around great player who’s calm charisma on the field and dime throws make him a really dangerous handler. along with huge layout D’s and overall being a super spirited guy he’s been my favorite matchup in college.

also number 42 “the unit” is the guy you dont want to go deep on you cuz he’ll put nutz on chins. A horrifying deep threat and major defensive presence on the field. and the guy is an absolute unit

Army: number 5 sorry I dont know your name maybe gino?? but an absolute beast who has dime throws and orchestrates the army offense and locks up on defense. Plays both sides of the disc so well and has a great ultimate mind and talent set.

also that dude on Wesleyan with the stache has dime throws

mmhmmmmmm hey guys, Teddy here, Colgate’s junior captain. You may have seen me on the sideline cheering and aggravating my concussion. Wanted to give some shoutouts to a couple of the guys we saw ball out this year:
Andrew “Polc” Polcari #23 (Ithaca), High Tide Hat Tournament Champion (“ice ice baby”), definitely Ithaca’s best player and an even better guy, played these guys 7 times and this guy has sick throws and fat bids
Hamilton- Wellers #42 “nutz on chins” and Liam O’Connor #23 almost as good as his sister #bigdaddydeuce

And my own guys, Colgate:
Ben Reiser #5, fastest guy on the field, has a cute brother, best two-way player in the region for my money
#61 sophomore Pete Paasche, LankmaSter Supreme, exploded onto the scene this year and often made me explode in my pants with ridiculous layouts, hucks, and being tall
#25 Jack Heitner: after sleeping in the same room as this man for 2 years now, I’ve been able to bear witness to Jack’s metapmorphosis on the field and in the sheets. He’s lowkey about it but will tear your ass up metaphorically. Saucy throws, surprising slippery to cover
Also want to shout out our senior cutters Payton Baker #90, Fargo #19, Steve “Show-er” McDermott #21 for great cutting and defense as always; their throws were weapons this year as well
Henry Pace, #10, deserves consideration for all freshmen team -> played big minutes for us all season, keep an eye out for him in the future

See you next year when I recover from my concussion!

1 Like

Hey guys, Geneseo Snail captain Connor here, just thought I would mention a few guys that really stood out to me this past weekend. Unfortunately we didn’t match up against all of the great players that have been mentioned so far so I’m just going to speak for the guys that I saw excel on the field.

Hamilton: Although we didn’t have the chance to play this spring, watching #4 and #42 tear it up in the finals showed that they should both be all region without a doubt. Hamilton has a deep roster with a lot of other playmakers, these two just stood out the most.

Marist: Oliver Fay is easily an all region player, it didn’t seem to matter what was thrown against him, he was still able to walk through any defense like a hot knife through butter. Even the wind couldn’t stop this man. Another mention from Marist is Jack Hueber, real quick and complemented Oliver’s playstyle extremely well. Overall, a deep team with a ton of athletes that made some great plays this weekend. Also heard a trumor that they’re not graduating anyone, that’s a scary thought.

Rochester: Hat Tom (Thomas Mariano), #5, is always super fun to match up with. He’s a quick and agile defender that was born with the ability to lay out, in addition to having super consistent throws. Along with those he always makes the right decisions and rarely gets beat.

My boys from Geneseo: Anthony Prato to start it off, has been a great offensive and defensive presence for our team. Whether he’s putting up 80 yard flick hucks or roofing people in the endzone he is always involved in the play. Definitely a top player in the region. Ethan Perregaux is a workhorse on both sides of the disc, he won’t stop running until the point is scored and always gets the unders. On the deep side of things we have Matt “Bones” Orobona. Stolen from the volleyball team this guy knows how to use his vert, and as a bonus he knows how to have some huge layouts too. Last but certainly not least is Max “Mittens” Moritz, even a broken wrist won’t keep him from playing. One of our best defenders on the team, he has the ability to essentially remove a player from the game.

3 Likes

@Marist
#4 from Hamilton skyed the balls off of one of the ,top 2, players in the region. This would be less important if he wasn’t down 6 inches, and way less hilarious if you hadn’t turned this forum into a raging circle jerk. Maybe if you had acknowledged there were other good players in the region instead of removing your own ribs in order to blow yourselves you’d be headed to Texas, but, that’s none of my business.

18 Likes

My ballot would be
1st team:
Eric Johanssen (4 Hamilton. Grinded out the toughest matchup all finals. Played both ways and had huge hucks and altogether polished offense)

Oliver Fay (somehow went every-other with the disc every single time he stepped on the field in back to back Universe Point elimination games and almost always got whatever he wanted)

Anthony Prato (11 Geneseo. looks like the most polished individual player at the tournament. Not really anything he can’t do. Great leader on and off the field working harder than anyone)

John Wellers (42 Hamilton. most impressive downfield cutter I saw at the tournament. Super physical O and D, and he makes huge highlight plays into just another part of their system)

TJ Stanton (outstanding athlete on Stevens. Soo fast, quick, high level throws)

Ben Reiser (it’s shocking what Colgate managed to do with ~12 players and Ben was constantly all over the field making the athletic plays to get them to the semifinal)

Matt Erodici (13 Wesleyan. Really stood out during the semifinal with amazing play under pressure)

2nd team:
Liam O’Connor (23 Hamilton. lefty handler with the most clutch rip I’ve seen for the break they needed. Otherwise super reliable offense and versatile break throws for their vert)

Andrew Muscadin? (10 Marist but 13 on usau? The perfect role player for the Fay brothers’ throws. Got it over Wellers huge a couple times. Offensive animal)

Finn Collom (23 Wesleyan. Centerpiece for their offense. Great disc skills and composure)

Andrew Polcari (great all around. “The guy” on Ithaca)

Webster Kehoe (main player that jumped out to me on U of R. Way more athletic and strong out of the air than I had any idea of before this weekend)

Zachary Riemer (great in Army’s system. Remember him playing a key role over the last two-theee years and he now stands out even more)

Charlie Barbieri (88 Geneseo. Versatility, skies, huge layouts; frequently makes plays to get the disc back after a turn. Highlight: layout Callahan against Fred at Conferences)

Honorable mentions:
Adam Bubb (Fredonia. I really wish we got to see him play this postseason he is a crucial, relentlessly energetic, difference maker for them)

Jack Hueber (Marist. Great leader for them with pretty amazing stamina getting open under pretty much every point. Energetic and positive presence on the field)

Max Moritz (17 Geneseo. Returning all-region cutter, missed most of the season with a broken wrist and played with a cast this regionals. Somehow still one of the best players on the field fearlessly laying out onto his bad arm and only throwing left and righty backhands)

Paul Oleyourryk and Connor Evans (57 and 54 Geneseo. Extremely consistent parts of Snail’s systems on O and D respectively. Setting an example as two of the hardest workers on the field and keeping the vibes loose and positive off it)

Wesleyan also had a lot more people that I hope get shouted out by spectators and peers with a larger sample size than I have. #2 always impresses me on the field for his play and his soortsmanship.

All freshman nomination:
Tyler Green (37 Geneseo. Outstanding athlete with speed, quickness, physicality, layouts. He plays handler defense like a veteran and gets open under almost every time)

Edit: changed from “my ballot is” to “my ballot would be” because I’m washed up and out of college
2: typo. It’s past my bedtime

4 Likes

Marist practices with pulsars

9 Likes

Yo, so I didn’t get to play these past 2 weekends (spare the first sectionals game against Oneonta), but here’s what I observed:

First off, I’ll start with the Fredonia boys:
Shane and Shawn Watts have really proved themselves this year. Out of the entire post season, I saw Shane lose deep ONCE, out of a billion deep shots from opposing teams. The kid is a monster. Also Shawn is without a doubt one of the top 5 defenders in the ME, not even a convo. The two of them on the field together is an absolute nightmare for other teams, and a spectacle for ours. Their teamwork and intensity is truly amazing and I was lucky to be working with them for the past 5 years.

I also have to give a shoutout to Anthony Ceddia. Although he was a transfer Sophomore to our team this year, the kid is INVESTED in the team and ultimate. If he didn’t stand out to you this weekend, in the next two years this kid is going to be nothing less than a monster.

Oneonta

Matt “Cardinal” Eicher - this kid is an absolute pleasure on and off the field. He makes plays, he’s quick, and he leads his team with ferocity. Everyone knows that this is the guy to watch out for when playing this team. Not only that, but he’s still got more room to become even more of a monster at this game.

I also wanted to make a quick shoutout to “Cake”, who in knowing that I had a torn meniscus for regionals, allowed me to hit the field with my dudes one last time while I hobbled around the back field. He’s a stand up guy and it meant so much to me to be able to play college ball one last time.

Marist:

Noah Fay - Really tall and aggressive. Carried his team pretty hard with his insane throws upwind.

Jack Hueber - I’ve known Jack for quite some time now and holy cow did he get really good since the last time I saw him play. Had to warn my teammates to play a couple steps off of him just because he torches defenders with his unmatched speed. He looked comfortable and very aggressive. Always open on in cuts and ISO’s. I’m looking forward to seeing him become an even greater force.

Geneseo-

Anthony Prato- This kid has some STEASE (style/ease) on and off the field. I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t the one I wanted to match up against the most in the entire region. He’s an incredible force in every facet and the people saying that he is the most fearsome player in this region are saying it rightfully so.

Charlie Barbieri- Definitely a sleeper if you guys didn’t know who he was before the post season (sorry my dude, I didn’t), but wow. I saw this kid laying out all over the place, making some of the sickest plays i’ve seen in a minute. He absolutely turned it up in the post season and he should be proud of his performance for Snail because it did not go unnoticed.

Hammy:
Unfortunately I didn’t get to really see Hamilton because I was at the hospital during sectionals when we played them. With that said, I just wanted to wish you guys the very best at Natties. You guys have always had grit and incredible force and determination. I hope you trounce some teams in Texas and show the nation what ME frisbee is about!

Love this region and everyone in it. I appreciate all the kind words this past weekend and I hope to see all of you in club and beyond.

2 Likes

John Wellers from Hamilton here, historically we don’t post on this thread too often but I think its about time that changed. There are players both on our team and off that deserve some serious respect.

I’ll start with #10 on Marist, Andrew Muscadin, because he’s my most recent match-up. That dude balls. He had high spirit throughout the game which he balanced with an awesome intensity. Someone above mentioned that he skied me in the endzone. That’s true, he got me pretty good, in front of a lot of people. Not to mention for a sophomore he has solid game knowledge and a pretty diverse skill-set. My sophomore year all I did was stand in the deep space but he took me under and made some pretty clinical upline cuts. Easily the best cutter I’ve matched up with in a while.

#23 Andrew Polcari on Ithaca is a such a positive dude. Which makes it a lot easier to accept how good he is at Ultimate. The first time I played against him I thought he was just their deep threat but it has since become clear that he runs that team from all angles. He’s got nice throws and a good field sense, super versatile.

#5 Ben Reiser on Colgate is the perfect use of speed. He fills the role of “consistent in-cutter” better then anyone else in the region imo. He is fast enough to get open more or less when ever he is needed and is poised with the disk. His defense demonstrates his speed well too but its clear on offense that he’s their rock.

I really appreciate all the shout-outs from you guys. I’d like to shout-out some Hamilton players that I feel like haven’t been getting nearly enough attention. I get more attention then I deserve because my play-style is a little flashier. We won this tournament on depth, not on stars. I’ve been honored to play with these guys and they’ve pushed me to be a much better player/person, not to mention most of them are better players than I am.

#4 Erik Johansson and #23 Liam O’Connor are obviously incredible players. I don’t need to gas them up anymore then you guys have been. I know I’m biased but in my opinion they’re both first-team caliber. Just so clutch.

#30 Ben Stoloff is one of the best defenders in the region. He gets multiple hand-blocks a tournament always, has great defensive vision and is sneaky-powerful in the air. When I was too tired to cover #10 from Marist I asked Ben to take over and had 100% confidence he would do just as well as me. Honestly he probably did a better job contesting the unders. He is also a dominate offensive player, everything he sees on defense translates to his offensive play style. Offensively, him and #23 from Ithaca are super similar players.

#33 Henry Kapp is (at the risk of repeating myself) one of the most overlooked players on this thread so far. He is the definition of consistency, but that doesnt mean he isn’t capable of some incredible highlight reel plays. Anyone who threw a zone against us knows how scary his over-the-tops are, his composure on the field is second-to-none, his throws are always dimes and he’s just an all-around athlete.

#9 Tyler Spector First of all, anything you liked about our spirit this year should be attributed to this guy, I won’t describe the ways he shaped this team since this post is already too long. Its also pretty helpful that he is sick at Frisbee. Great defense, great IQ, awesome break throws, athletic as a cutter. He has gone back and forth between handler/cutter since his freshman year because he’s awesome at both. Amazing role-filler.

#25 Elias Griffin is just flat-out better than me in the air and his throws are so much better than mine. The only reason my name has come up more than his is that he got injured. Losing him was a huge blow to our team. Unfortunately for you guys he’s not graduating so if you haven’t seen what I’m talking about already, you will.

#72 Gabe Masters is our garbage man. He’s a great defender and always manages to clean up sloppy throws on offense. I’ve got to chalk that up to field-sense, he just knows where to be.

If it were up to me I’d put our whole roster up here but I’ve already taken up enough space. There are lots of names I’ve overlooked (on every team) but all of these guys definitely deserve some air-time. Thanks again for all the well-wishes, it’s been so much fun.

It’s sad that I have to do this, but for the sake of the region, someone needs to communicate the problem.

Stevens Tech straight up showed some of the most unsportsmanlike and ill-spirited play that I’ve ever seen in over a decade of playing and spectating. It’s pretty clear when 4 teams complain about your behavior, that you’re doing something disgustingly wrong. While not all of the players were involved, those who were should be nothing short of ashamed of themselves. It is athletes like this that slowly degrade the confidence and enjoyment of this sport, and they only did it for their own gain, at the expense of their integrity (and the experience of their opponents).

Throwing an awful swing that bounces off your receivers hands (because it’s wobbly and high), gets smacked by a defender and calling a strip to get it back? (Video evidence) Disgusting.
Calling 6 injuries during a single long point to get fresh legs? (None of the players were injured, were involved in any physical altercation, or cramping - just tired) Disgusting.
Calling a pick when absolutely no such thing happened, except you got burned? (There is video evidence) Disgusting.
Calling a foul, pick, travel, etc, every other point that is scored against you? Disgusting.
I’d love to go on, but we’ll just move onto the point of this thread.

As much as it hurts to say, TJ was apart of the problem. If he hadn’t been, I would want to nominate him.
When your competitive nature gets the better of your sportsmanship and integrity, you need to take a step back and reflect. Gaming the system like this is unacceptable and I only wish there had been observers available for the games on Saturday.

I’d like to nominate:

Oliver Fay - Marist
Erik Johansson - Hamilton
Ben Reiser - Colgate
Anthony Prato - Geneseo
Dylan Hannaford - Oneonta
Chris Duffy - RPI

3 Likes

Had to make one last post I forgot that’s really important.

Tyler Davis is the best coach in this region. Period. He helps our men’s and women’s teams throughout the entire year. Without him, our program would be half of what it is now. He loves the game more than anyone and drives our team to be a competitive family. In my 5 years he has been a teammate, a president, a coach, and friend. I’ve never met a person with more of a drive to help cultivate a team and this sport.

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

For those of you who don’t know me my name’s Ben, and I’m one of Colgate’s captains. I appreciate all the mentions and would like to give my own shoutouts. A lot of these are guys I played against personally, so I know there are some people that I left off. Here we go:

John Wellers (Hamilton): I think the nutz on chinz reference basically summed it up, and he’s got a lot of mentions already so short and sweet.

Anthony Prato (Geneseo): best player in the region, again keeping it short and sweet

Tyler Spector #9 (Hamilton): one of the fastest guys I’ve played against in the last four years. He’s an unstoppable in cutter, moves the disc up the field as well as any of their handlers, and is a great defender. One of the tougher matchups I’ve had this year.

Erik Johansson #4 (Hamilton): Another guy on Hamilton I matched up with this year. Again a guy who I believe played both ways against us. He’s chilly with the disc, plays within his own game, and makes each of the players around him better. I think he knows his teammates very well and elevates their game with his own, which imo is a big reason Hamilton is going to natties. A rock solid defender as well, he pressures every throw and catch.

Andrew Polcari #23 (Ithaca): We played Ithaca about 10 times this spring, and that’s not an exaggeration. Polc is another guy who played both ways, and is one of those players that you notice when they are not on a line. He can play and score anywhere on the field, has great throws, and bids like crazy.

Matt Erodici #13 (Wesleyan): Played against this dude 3 times this year, and it’s always been a challenge. He’s got great throws, plays tough defense on in and deep cuts, and has great offensive versatility. He’s a field general for Wesleyan, making sure they’re in the sets they need to be in, and people are in the right spots.

Pete Paasche #61 (Colgate): One of my own players, Pete has been our most consistent handler this year. He plays both ways, isn’t afraid to put the disc anywhere on the field, and does not slack off on the defensive end either. He makes dope bids, and basically our entire offense usually starts and ends with him throwing the disc.

Honorable Mentions:

Elias Griffin (Hamilton): great defender, fast, athletic, and basically unguardable on offense cause he’s faster, taller, and can jump higher than you.

Jack Heitner (Colgate): chilliest handler we have, has some dime hammers, and a calming presence for our more turnover prone members (which was mostly me)

Liam O’Connor (Hamilton): being the second best frisbee player in the family still means you’re pretty good if its the O’Connor family. Liam has great throws, fantastic patience for a sophomore, and plays as many if not more points than just about anyone on Hamilton.

Matt Eicher (Oneonta): best cutter on Oneonta, solid both in and out, and he’ll get up to sky you if you force him to beat you deep

Jack Kwan (Wesleyan): solid cutter, uses space well, great defender and lightning quick

Echoing Tedward above I would also like to shoutout Payton Baker (#90), Alex (Fargo) Kappler (#19), and Steve McDermott (#21). All are solid cutters with Payton and Steve gobbling up anything deep, and Fargo eating up in cuts. The three were also central to our zone which we literally run all the time.

Anyway these are the guys who have stood out to me either because I have personally had to guard them or play against them, or I have seen them a lot. Congrats to Hamilton on winning the region. This last four years has been fun guys!

1 Like

But you know who else can’t beat Geneseo? My nominee for Coach of the Year - Kyle “K-MO” “indiasnailpal” Morgan.

this didn’t hold up too well :slight_smile: otherwise a quality shitpost

(i’m OK at Smash)

I’m not familiar with Marist’s coach and Dave Ferraro definitely keeps the RPI lads sharp, BUT Tyler Davis is a BIG reason Fredonia was able to qualify for Regionals.

Fredonia played through A LOT of injuries at Sectionals and still found a way to qualify for Regionals.

Vote Tyler Davis for COTY.