Ultiworld Ultiworld DG

All-Region 2019: Metro East (D-III Men's)

Kyle Morgan (Univ. of Rochester) Coach here. First I’ll highlight some folks on UR that deserve your consideration then I’ll do my best to highlight the competition:

FOTY:
#00 Ben Kelley (aka Biggie) & #01 Jake Kelley (aka RT).
YES - they are twins. Ben and Jake came to us with YCC experience already in hand which is SO valuable in this region. Beyond experience, these guys possess real athleticism and have enough stamina to play every D point. Although their throws are still raw these two were able to shut down or limit our opponent’s top players - which is invaluable. Which one should you vote for? I’ll leave that up to you, but Jake did edge out his brother in an unofficial 40 yard dash.

All-Region:
#5 Thomas Mariano (aka Hat Tom)
It is very rare that I see a college player commit themselves fully to a season the way Hat Tom did this year, and boy did it pay off. Hat Tom possesses keen throwing/pivoting skills, but his elite acceleration separates him from the pack. Hat Tom was easily our MVP this season.
#8 Webster Kehoe
Webster is a speedy 6-foot tall cutter with amazing hands. Webster was our go-to initiation cutter and go-to bail-out cutter. Even Geneseo Snail’s top studs couldn’t limit his effectiveness. Webster was easily our most dominant cutter this year.

Everyone else:
(Ithaca) #23 Andrew Polcari impressed me. He didn’t struggle against our zone. Definitely did most of the heavy lifting for their O-line.
(Ithaca) #10 Alec Holliday. Very athletic defender. Also comfortably completed aggressive give-n-go moves. He was the focal point of their D-line offense.
(Geneseo) #11 Anthony Prato is very good. He is dynamic enough that forcing him out of his natural Handler role doesn’t do much good. His hucks looked off at Regionals.
(Geneseo) #54 Connor Evans is SO FAST. Good lord.
(Geneseo) #?? Max Moritz is the only player on Geneseo I might speculate is more valuable to Geneseo than Prato. His pulls, in particular, created many high-stress Offensive points for opponents. Unfortunately, his pulls weren’t a factor at Sectionals and Regionals due to an injured wrist.
(Stevens Tech) #38 TJ Stanton moved the disc with ease. A tall, lefty handler that knew how to abuse poor marks.
(Hamilton) #5 Erik Johansson is a talented player that knows how to play in the system well. His throwing talent and athleticism may not be instantly recognized, but his leadership skills are invaluable.
(Hamilton) #42 Josh Wellers is a big boy. Came down with every 50-50 ball in our game on Sunday.

Hey everyone, Anthony Prato from Geneseo here. Just figured I’d throw some opinions about who I think was good at frisbee this regionals. If it seems like you’ve been left out, please write me an extremely lengthy reply listing all of your accomplishments, accolades, and merits (even if you’re not sure we’ve ever met, played, or coached against each other before).

To start, the Marist coach (this year, obviously) did a great job working a system around Oliver Fay. Definitely tough to stop that guy when the other 6 guys know to give it back to him as soon as they get it.
Rochester’s coach Kyle is the homie and he is another one that impressed me.
Austin Shave, Oneonta’s coach, is incredibly spirited and cool too.

Players:

Hamilton’s John Wellers and Eric Johannson are maniacs on the field, definitely wouldn’t have wanted anyone else to be going to natties more than them. Eric is also my pick for Metro East’s most handsome man for the second year running.

Colgate’s Ben Reiser definitely did a lot with a little this year. He’s a great competitor and a good dude.

Rochester’s two main dudes, Tom Mariano and Webster Kehoe, work really well together and both possess some serious big play potential.

Marist’s Oliver Fay is definitely all region. Made some great plays and really spirited calls from what I saw.

Geneseo: Max Moritz and Charlie Barbieri are both great athletes who broke out some new throwing prowess this year for us. Connor Evans is fast as they come.

FOTY: Tyler Green (Geneseo) is the most meaningful nomination I can put forth. We had a big rookie class this year, the core of which were all big high school athletes that quickly became close friends when they got here. Tyler picked throwing up faster than anyone I have ever seen, and he constantly worked incredibly hard to better himself since day 1 in the fall. I was so proud of his leadership, poise, and confidence on the field during regionals this year. The rookies were incredibly competitive with each other this entire season, and a big reason for that (and their subsequent rapid development) is Tyler Green. That being said, Jody (Alex O’Reilly) was another rookie that had a huge impact this year. Going from being unable to throw at all until Oak Creek to starting O-line deep threat is a tough task, but Jody was clearly determined to be great from the get-go. I love that Jody.

see you all next year,
Plato

2 Likes

Just want to say good luck to Hamilton at Natties. Give Midd, Fransican, and Mich that good nice sweet dicc.

Wellers I wanna see tweets of some nutz on chinz.

Bring back another bid for us next year

2 Likes